• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Corridors

duckbill

Bronze Member
I-3 occupancy (pre-release center). Large Day Room for patients with two halls (no doors) leaving the room toward exits. Patient rooms use this hall for egress to the Day Room and to the exit. The exits are about 70' away from the Day Room and are compliant for spacing. The architect is calling these halls an extension of the Day Room therefore no rating is required because they are an intervening space allowed by IBC 2006 Section 1014.2. The definition of a corridor is an enclosed egress path.....architect says the halls are not enclosed (no door on Day Room side) therefore not a corridor. Any thoughts?

Re: Corridors

Ask him if they have walls. :lol:

Enclosed basically means in the building. So if they have walls they are enclosed.

Hallways have walls, rooms have walls, etc. What prevents the designer from calling it a Hallway? Why would it require a fire rated corridor?

so how big is this day room???

I think start at 1017 then go from there to include 1017.5 and table 1017.1

So, is it I-2 or I-3? I'm presuming I-2.

The IBC doesn't make a difference between "hallways" and "corridors" like the old UBC did. Section 1017.1 is going to require some separation between the corridor and the main room.

Section 1014.2.2 is for I-2 and allows for a suite configuration. If the hallway/corridors are a part of the suite, then it would be acceptable to have them without separation. It could also be a room that meets the provisions of 407.2.1 which allows spaces to be open to the corridor. If either of those is the case, the architect should let you know.

Which condition does it fall into :?: or is it an R occupancie as allowed by condition 1 :?:

408.7 Subdivision of resident housing areas.

Sleeping areas and any contiguous day room, group activity space or other common spaces where residents are housed shall be separated from other spaces in accordance with Sections 408.7.1 through 408.7.4.

If anyone has the 2006 IBC Commentary, Figure 308.4.1 is very close to the actual conditions. Would you label any of the spaces in that figure as a corridor and if yes would you require a door on the lunch and tv room if the corridor had to be rated?

What is the designer calling the project?

I or R as indicated by previous post.

If I, only smoke tight partitons are required with smoke compartments for every 50 sleeping occupants. See a few sections before.

If R, when the hallway or corridor exceeds an occupant load of 10, the walls will be required to be 30 minute rated.

BTW, intervening rooms must maintain the same rating of a corridor that they may be attached to....

its the ole' architect intervening space ploy...but can you interpret that 1014 requires doors? lemme check that chapter 2 "space" definition.

Hallways are corridors too

In this case, the hallway is just like a corridor but the architect wants to call it a "hallway". Fine. According to Table 1017.1, the building needs to be equipped with a fire sprinkler system and the "exit access" needs to be either 30 minute rated (Group "R") or 60 minute rated (Group "I-3" as noted in the original post).

Personally, I like the day room being without doors. But - regardless of occupancy type - I don't see how any one of the exceptions listed within 1014.2 allow for an intervening space.

However, a very loose interpretation of section 407.2 might work.

--------------------------------

AIA, NCARB, ICC, NCOA, CSI

ICC Plans Examiner