• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Cover it with a picture

The service panel is mounted over a sheet of steel and the previous service cabinet is still in the wall and is now a j-box. One of the corrections I wrote was to relocate the new cabinet and make the j-box accessible. The second picture is the result. It is in a bedroom behind a picture.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Cover it with a picture

Are you sure you live in California. Most of the time I always hear how strict the building code is out there but it looks like you may not have had one before you started working there. :D

tigerloose said:
One of the corrections I wrote was to relocate the new cabinet and make the j-box accessible.
If this permit was pulled under the 08 NEC I think you may have a problem with 330.10(A)(11) also.

330.10(A)(11)© was a change from 2005 to 2008

c. The insulated conductors under the metallic covering are listed for use in wet locations and a corrosion-resistant jacket is provided over the metallic sheath.

That is not MC cable. It is a bare #6 grounding electrode conductor in armor.

tigerloose said:
That is not MC cable. It is a bare #6 grounding electrode conductor in armor.
Where does the GEC that goes up go?

Also, thanks Jeff, I'll start putting the text with any NEC references.

Where does the GEC that goes up go?

It goes into the attic and across the house and down to the water main.

And no Jeff, we don't have Polish water mains.

That one picture is an "Arkansas wall safe" that's were you store your gun and baseball cards!