• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Crushed and clogged foundation drain

atkins

Bronze Member
Hello,I would need some help here as the builder claims that even though the foundation footing drains are crushed, the stones surrounding the pipe is sufficient to allow the water to flow and hence will not cause water to back up. I find this rather ludicrous but was wondering what others thought. We had water seeping upwards from the sides of the ejector tub in the basement last winter and so I decided to investigate it myself. Attached are some pictures. Does anyone know which IRC code this violates? Isn't this considered a defect for a new construction? Thanks.

View attachment 1953

View attachment 1954

View attachment 1955

View attachment 1956

View attachment 1953

View attachment 1954

View attachment 1955

View attachment 1956

/monthly_2013_10/clogged.jpg.190fd3c5065577e8bdda01163a122e51.jpg

/monthly_2013_10/clogged1.jpg.48a8fa2a0b01bdb1179345f278acdfae.jpg

/monthly_2013_10/crushed1.jpg.60b1bf4bfe84015fa6eca25c5fa0bd5e.jpg

/monthly_2013_10/crushed2.jpg.dd6af5181954050de65400b2fbf80420.jpg

In your professional opinion, the design is not satisfactory and does not comply with the intent of the code

R104.11 Alternative materials, design and methods of construction and equipment.

The provisions of this code are not intended to prevent the installation of any material or to prohibit any design or method of construction not specifically prescribed by this code, provided that any such alternative has been approved. An alternative material, design or method of construction shall be approved where the building official finds that the proposed design is satisfactory and complies with the intent of the provisions of this code, and that the material, method or work offered is, for the purpose intended, at least the equivalent of that prescribed in this code. Compliance with the specific performance-based provisions of the International Codes in lieu of specific requirements of this code shall also be permitted as an alternate.

We have this conversation quite often. If stone alone is sufficient for drainage then why is the pipe required? Stone alone will sediment up because it will cause a turbulent flow, causing suspended solids to drop out. The pipe, after the bottom gets full of sediment, will allow a laminar flow, keeping suspended solids from dropping out.

& + & + &

atkins,

Do you have some type of actual written contract to use / refer to ?

You may have to "lawyer up" to seek compliance, or compensation.

$ ~ $ ~ $