• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

CSST

Keystone said:
Standard nail plates vs. manufacture ( be it wardflex, gastite, etc...) striker plates, any testing data available demonstrating strength qualities of one vs. other?
CSST strike plates required to be 16 gauge AISI1050 carbon Steel Hardened to Rc 45

Not the same as standard plates.

Must be listed for CSST

404.2 CSST.

CSST piping systems shall be installed in accordance with the terms of their approval, the conditions of listing, the manufacturer’s instructions and this code.

" . . . the use of hardened steel striker plates, listed for use with CSST, must be used. Striker plates other than those provided for use with WARDFLEX® are prohibited."

"For CSST which meets all three of the conditions above, the required method for protecting concealed tubing is hardened steel striker plates listed for use with corrugated stainless steel tubing systems (Gastite)."

Last edited by a moderator:
Greg, Francis, thanks. I do understand the requirement for the stiker plates.

These CSST striker plates are the only plates tested to ANSI LC 1 / CSA standard, I would like to see/understand what the actual differences are in strenght & or puncture resistance as compared to a typical gage nail plate for say sanitary drain or similar. Looking for the hard evidence.

Keystone said:
Greg, Francis, thanks. I do understand the requirement for the stiker plates. These CSST striker plates are the only plates tested to ANSI LC 1 / CSA standard, I would like to see/understand what the actual differences are in strenght & or puncture resistance as compared to a typical gage nail plate for say sanitary drain or similar. Looking for the hard evidence.
The hard evidence is that standard 16 gauge striker plates do not have a standard that they are measured to other than 16 gauge steel, where as the ones listed as part of a listed assembly for CSST do have a standard where they are 16 gauge carbon steel heat treated to Rockwell 45.

I went and got the Gastite installer certification a few years ago just to help me with inspecting it. They require their own proprietary plates for installation. Problem is that no one wants to spend that money but that is not our problem as inspectors. If you don't see Gastite products used for protection then the job cannot be passed. Other manufacturers vary on their requirements.

We have Wardflex & Tracpipe come in and give us a seminar. The local reps we deal with are a wealth of info. For anyone else, if you haven't been to a seminar by a CSST manufacture I would advise to do so. They will come to your location at no charge, just band together a group of inspectors, we invited a few contractors as well. Do not deal with Proflex but as I understand it the free education is part of CSST legal agreement during past lawsuits when bonding issues weren't as readily understood as they are now.