• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Cutting codes to cut costs of construction

Builder wanting to save $$$, just did a rgh-in inspection. Joist hangers all bent laying in the mud, nail clips all over the place, bent soffit vents, boards laying around with nails, mud all over the siding (hear the newly applied paint will pop off wherever there's clay soil on the siding afterwards). Does the builder real know where he/she's loosing money? And they think the city's gigging em!

It's a travesty I say!!

Since the I Codes existence, how many wallboard inspections have you had to fail for incorrect installation? This doesn't include firewalls and core walls.

Had a few times where they had 1/2' water-resistance gypsum board (green board) on bathroom ceilings where trusses were spaced over 12" IRC702.3.8

And had one that the drywall job looked unbelievable bad and used E3906.6 more than 1/8" opening around electrical boxes.

Builder wanting to save $$$, just did a rgh-in inspection. Joist hangers all bent laying in the mud, nail clips all over the place, bent soffit vents, boards laying around with nails, mud all over the siding (hear the newly applied paint will pop off wherever there's clay soil on the siding afterwards). Does the builder real know where he/she's loosing money? And they think the city's gigging em!

It's a travesty I say!!
It all started when they began cutting the vocational trades from High School curriculum.

Had a few times where they had 1/2' water-resistance gypsum board (green board) on bathroom ceilings where trusses were spaced over 12" IRC702.3.8

And had one that the drywall job looked unbelievable bad and used E3906.6 more than 1/8" opening around electrical boxes.

Ironically enough, yesterday I failed two production bldr homes for lack of fasteners at the butting sections of wallboard on the ceiling.

Even with this I’m not 100percent convinced this is still needs to remain a mandatory requirement.

It should not be a "cut Codes" debate it should be an "alter the codes to make sense.

As an example:
The Diminishing Returns of Adding More Insulation
https://www.energyvanguard.com/blog/76941/The-Diminishing-Returns-of-Adding-More-Insulation
Adding any insulation to uninsulated homes can save more energy than adding more insulation to already-insulated homes.
Too much is never enough
The debate over how much insulation to use is an important one. There's no clear-cut answer. I can't tell you, "Use this much in climate zone 4 and this much in climate zone 5" because there are multiple variables involved. Here are the main ones:
Climate zone
Type of heating and cooling system
Fuel used for heating
Utility costs
Photovoltaic (solar electric) system costs
Comfort
Your interests and goals - utility bills, carbon footprint...

Whether you're trying to reduce power plant emissions or just save money, at a certain point, it becomes wiser to stop with the insulation and spend your money on the stuff that, dollar for dollar, will yield better results.
That's the beauty of the blower door test. It let's you know exactly how many air changes per hour are in the house therfore making sure you are not under or over insulating the home. Just be in line with IECC guidelines for the climate zone.

I get calls from home owners who bought flipped homes which look brand new but are in the 1950's in regards to Insulation. It's like slapping lipstick on a pig.

Ori Rosenkrantz
BlowerDoorTester.com
LocalEnergyAudits.com/blower-door-testing