• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Cutting roof joist to make space for chimney.

Halestorm

I have a double wall chimney (not currently in use, but I am trying to get it there) sitting ~1" from a roof joist on the right side and basically touching a manufactured joist in the floor below on the left side (see the first picture below). I need to move the chimney ~2 inches to the right to have proper spacing from the floor joist, and it looks like the only simple way to do that is to cut the roof joist on the right and install a header.

NYS building code has this to say about roof openings:
Openings in roof and ceiling framing shall be framed with header and trimmer joists. Where the header joist span does not exceed 4 feet (1219 mm), the header joist shall be permitted to be a single member the same size as the ceiling joist or rafter. Single trimmer joists shall be permitted to be used to carry a single header joist that is located within 3 feet (914 mm) of the trimmer joist bearing. Where the header joist span exceeds 4 feet (1219 mm), the trimmer joists and the header joist shall be doubled and of sufficient cross section to support the ceiling joists or rafter framing into the header. Approved hangers shall be used for the header joist to trimmer joist connections where the header joist span exceeds 6 feet (1829 mm). Tail joists over 12 feet (3658 mm) long shall be supported at the header by framing anchors or on ledger strips not less than 2 inches by 2 inches (51 mm by 51 mm).
The roof is framed with 2x10's (that have been trimmed down to 9" for some reason) with ~18.5' rafters at a 12/12 pitch.

I am planning to do a double header (hung with joist hangers for it and the tail joist above) that will be ~3.5' from the joist bearing, so as far as I understand I need to double the trimmer "of sufficient cross section to support the rafter framing into the header". Does that mean I need to double the full 18' length? Or as one person I asked said, only to 2' past the header?

The main reason I am hesitant (besides finding 20' 2x10's) is that there is a floor/ceiling framed ~2/3's of the way up (not connected to the joists, see the second picture) and the only way I can think to fit a full length board in would be to try and open the soffit and insert it from outside.

At the bottom it will just be the birds mouth and below left, so I am going to put angle brackets on each side to tie the stub into the bottom plate.

I am trying to get this done this week because I have people coming Thursday (9/23) to spray foam the roof deck and walls, and I would rather not have to have them skip this part and do it later myself.

Thanks for reading!

Chimney as it goes through the roof (I also need to replace the chimney flashing and cut the furring strips back to have proper clearance)
PXL_20210916_215626190.jpg

The space showing the floor above and the full rafter span. The chimney is in the right corner, you can kinda see it just above the trash can.
PXL_20210919_001743695.jpg

Welcome

Who or What says you need the spacing/ separation ??

And exactly how much??

Minimum spacing for the chimney is 2" on all sides from all construction materials according to the manufacturer. It's an 8" double wall chimney with a 10" OD (Hart and Cooley model HT).

Trimmer joists typically run for the full span, from one structural support to the next. An alternative (cause it's really challenging to do this now) would be to engage a structural engineer to provide a solution.

Your first picture looks like someone dovetailed (cut) the female portion of the pipe to install it into the male end of pipe?
You can purchase offsets to possibly achieve the 2" inch required from combustibles. They even have round to oval and oval to round adapters that may work.
I suggest you contact them and see what they may suggest in lieu of cutting the framing members