• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Darn framer left all of this wood in the way!

MikeC

Silver Member
I hate the concept of government protecting people from themselves, but when I see stuff like this ............

I gotta ask, what kind of occupancy is that? Looks like about 3' or 4' on center for those joists. And a very nice example of an overloaded member splitting on the incised cut.

It is residential. The second floor is a bedroom. Good thing, because an added 10 psf for a non-bedroom could have caused complete failure :) I don't recall, but the spacing didn't catch my attention at the time as being abnormal. The joists can't be more than 24" on center. The house was sold for back taxes. IIRC, the current owner picked it up for $300. They called me to find out what it would take for the city to lift the condemned status. It was originally condemned for no utilities. There had never been an interior inspection until now.

Last edited by a moderator:
"The second floor is a bedroom. Good thing, because an added 10 psf for a non-bedroom could have caused complete failure"

Don't confuse 'design load' with 'actual load'. Had there been a waterbed in the room upstairs it likely would have collapsed completely.

Wow, have fun with that one. My knee-jerk response is call a contractor and an engineer, submit repair for review.

Looking at all the water marks on floor sheath planks and on joists, I would recommend structural pest inspection as well.