• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Deck Uplift

How do you prescriptively design and build a deck in a 170mph wind zone?

With large gaps between the deck boards....sorry but I couldn't help it. I can't imagine living somewhere that the wind can blow 170mph. Canada has Florida sand. Come to think of it I did live in Ormond Beach for a few years....the wind came up and I found myself in Manitou Springs.

How do you prescriptively design and build a deck in a 170mph wind zone?
You can't prescriptively building anything in that wind zone. Being decks, I'll site the IRC. R301.2.1. Wind design region.

Truthfully though... We do not have complete research or standardized guidance available for deck structural design. Our culture didn't care until the last decade or so. There is much work to do still, from fire separation distance, to lateral bracing, to uplift. Hell... we don't even have universal agreement about what a deck, balcony, porch, patio, or sunroom even is.

I'm not very helpful on this one, am I.

You can't prescriptively building anything in that wind zone. Being decks, I'll site the IRC. R301.2.1. Wind design region.

Truthfully though... We do not have complete research or standardized guidance available for deck structural design. Our culture didn't care until the last decade or so. There is much work to do still, from fire separation distance, to lateral bracing, to uplift. Hell... we don't even have universal agreement about what a deck, balcony, porch, patio, or sunroom even is.

I'm not very helpful on this one, am I.

Well, basically down here, all decks are engineered per ASCE-10 for now.