• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Design build.

ICE

Oh Well
Everything that gets built is done by design. Some designers are better than others. The hapless homeowner or the professional architect both create a design. It might be on paper or just in their mind's eye, but there is an intention to build towards a design. The person that designed this most likely couldn't get on paper or drag it out of their mind.

This property was on my desk from a complaint that there was construction without permits. My guess is that somebody didn't like the new neighbors. When I entered the dwelling, I noticed that there was an extra large living room. I could see the patch work on the ceiling where a wall has been removed. The current owner{6 months} assured me that the previous owner didn't do anything without permits. She said he was a nice man and he wouldn't lie to her.

The female is schizophrenic. I met at least four of her. I had to start over twice for the late comers. Before I left, the lucid one was on the phone with my office. I heard her say that I was rude and she didn't want me on her property ever again. I asked her if she held a vote before deciding to call my office.

When I got back to the office I was asked about it. I told them that I was so rude that we might get sued. I haven't been sent back. It's almost too easy to be me.

IMG_3066.jpg

IMG_3063.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Much too time consuming to remove a light fixture when you're really in a hurry to build a wall. Besides, why buy two lights when one is already there?

brudgers said:
Well, doesn't code require a light near the exterior door?
A friend of mine did some demo work on a Home Depot and scored some parking lot lights. He put up two of them in his back yard and it's like high noon at midnight. You would be surprised at how much stuff can be had from remodeling big box stores.

He got a pay phone that nobody would claim even though it was full of change. No key so he started working on it with a hammer and chisel. Detroit could learn a few things from the phone company. They are really almost bullet proof. After a lot of work he opened a hole big enough to see a purple canister inside. He decided that that's not a good thing and stopped beating on it. A .308 did the trick.

Last edited by a moderator: