1. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

Designer of plans that seeks a license

Discussion in 'Building Designers' started by tmtpermits, Apr 29, 2015.

1. tmtpermits

tmtpermits Member

I have researched everywhere and my question still remains...I am a designer of the plans (not an archtect or an engineer) and I do not see where I can obtain a license that seems to come up at the building department. I do plans for 2 contractors to install industrial equipment such as spray booths. Please advise where I can obtain such a license. I'm at a loss.

2. fatboy

fatboy Administrator

Welcome to the Forum!

We would require a engineers stamp for a commercial design.

3. cda

cda Sawhorse

Check with jurisdictions in your area

To me a booth is a piece of equipment

So if all you are doing is installing than maybe a contractors license or similar?

4. cda

cda Sawhorse

................(

#4 cda, Apr 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2015
  5. MASSDRIVER

MASSDRIVER Sawhorse

There's no app for that.

Brent.

6. mark handler

mark handler Sawhorse

7. Frank

Frank Sawhorse

Hazmat--engineer required

8. north star

north star Sawhorse

& = & = &

If the project site is located in a Seismically active area, then an SE would be required,...equipment or other structure.

& = & = &

9. MtnArch

MtnArch Sawhorse

The only way to obtain a license is to follow the California licensing laws - obtain your degree (or work under a licensed professional for the prescribed time), apply to take the exams, pass the exams, and receive your license. There is no easy way to do it - and rightfully so as architects and engineers are responsible for the life and safety of those who will occupy and use the buildings/spaces we design.

10. rktect 1

rktect 1 Gold Member

You see one piece of equipment being installed but there are more pieces to this puzzle. So while you may be qualified to install the equipment, another licensed professional is required for these other pieces.

You need to hire someone or get licensed by your state.

11. Mark K

Mark K Platinum Member

If what you are doing is considered to fall within the practice of architecture or engineering you need to be licensed by the state. The answer may differ from state to state. You also need to be licensed in each state where your documents will be used.

All states regulate engineers and architects. California in particular, but I suspect other states also, prohibits the local jurisdictions from imposing additional requirements on engineers and architects.

If the work you do does not constitute the practice of engineering or architecture then do not open the can of worms regarding whether local jurisdictions can or cannot license you. I would a argue that local building departments in California do not have the authority to license individuals whose design work does not constitute the practice of engineering or architecture.

Building departments focus, or at least should focus, on whether the design is in compliance with the code and not on who did the work. I am not advocating that architectural or engineering work should be done by unlicensed individuals, but rather commenting on what the building dept should focus on.

12. steveray

steveray Sawhorse

Makeup air? Classified wiring? Exhaust location?....We get a DP involved here.....

13. cda

cda Sawhorse

That is why included check Ahj

Some may allow him to submit and set say a booth and some may want added documentation

14. cda

cda Sawhorse

That is why included check Ahj

Some may allow him to submit and set say a booth and some may want added documentation

15. jdfruit

jdfruit Sawhorse

tmtpermits; in CA you must be an architect or civil engineer to submit plans for spray paint booths. There are significant safety issues in building, fire, mechanical, & electrical codes that generally preclude spray booths as "contractor shop drawings" for obtaining an overall building permit. If your work is incorporated by an architect or civil engineer into a complete plans/data submittal, then the licensed professional is taking responsibility for your document accuracy and you are effectively under the direct supervision of that licensed design professional.

16. cda

cda Sawhorse

Even a kit spray booth???

Interesting

17. jdfruit

jdfruit Sawhorse

There are many "kits" available; some are relatively easy for plan review as the complete assembly of booth structure, mechanical, and electrical are all designed, tested, and listed (typically UL) with only a few field conditions left to figure out for electrical and mechanical. The "headache" kits are cobbled messes of unlisted, unengineered structure, and mountains of uncollated "cut sheets" for hundreds of components. The headache variety is usually 4 out of 5 submittals with super angry customers when the super long plan review list is essentially "back to the drawing board" and "get an architect or civil engineer to be in responsible charge of the project".

18. Frank

Frank Sawhorse

Yes there are requirements as to classified electrical within ranges of openings. Discharge requirements have to be met and environmental discharge permits may be required. There is a degree of pollution control needed, overspray filters at a minimum, sometimes solvent recovery or solvent destruction--depending on the location and the coatings used. Air velocity requirements based on type of painting operation.

19. tmtpermits

tmtpermits Member

No one answered my question. I'm not asking if I need an engineer license to do the plans as I am working as the contractor in submitting plans and have done this for 10 years now. The question is where to go to get the license of "Designer of Plans".

20. tmtpermits

tmtpermits Member

I am a contractor but want to get the Designer of Plans license.