• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Designer of plans that seeks a license

tmtpermits

I have researched everywhere and my question still remains...I am a designer of the plans (not an archtect or an engineer) and I do not see where I can obtain a license that seems to come up at the building department. I do plans for 2 contractors to install industrial equipment such as spray booths. Please advise where I can obtain such a license. I'm at a loss.

Check with jurisdictions in your area

To me a booth is a piece of equipment

So if all you are doing is installing than maybe a contractors license or similar?

& = & = &

"Check with jurisdictions in your areaTo me a booth is a piece of equipment

So if all you are doing is installing than maybe a contractors license or similar?"
If the project site is located in a Seismically active area, then an SE would be required,...equipment or other structure.

& = & = &

The only way to obtain a license is to follow the California licensing laws - obtain your degree (or work under a licensed professional for the prescribed time), apply to take the exams, pass the exams, and receive your license. There is no easy way to do it - and rightfully so as architects and engineers are responsible for the life and safety of those who will occupy and use the buildings/spaces we design.

You see one piece of equipment being installed but there are more pieces to this puzzle. So while you may be qualified to install the equipment, another licensed professional is required for these other pieces.

You need to hire someone or get licensed by your state.

If what you are doing is considered to fall within the practice of architecture or engineering you need to be licensed by the state. The answer may differ from state to state. You also need to be licensed in each state where your documents will be used.

All states regulate engineers and architects. California in particular, but I suspect other states also, prohibits the local jurisdictions from imposing additional requirements on engineers and architects.

If the work you do does not constitute the practice of engineering or architecture then do not open the can of worms regarding whether local jurisdictions can or cannot license you. I would a argue that local building departments in California do not have the authority to license individuals whose design work does not constitute the practice of engineering or architecture.

Building departments focus, or at least should focus, on whether the design is in compliance with the code and not on who did the work. I am not advocating that architectural or engineering work should be done by unlicensed individuals, but rather commenting on what the building dept should focus on.

cda said:
Check with jurisdictions in your areaTo me a booth is a piece of equipment

So if all you are doing is installing than maybe a contractors license or similar?
Makeup air? Classified wiring? Exhaust location?....We get a DP involved here.....

steveray said:
Makeup air? Classified wiring? Exhaust location?....We get a DP involved here.....
That is why included check Ahj

Some may allow him to submit and set say a booth and some may want added documentation

steveray said:
That is why included check Ahj

Some may allow him to submit and set say a booth and some may want added documentation

tmtpermits; in CA you must be an architect or civil engineer to submit plans for spray paint booths. There are significant safety issues in building, fire, mechanical, & electrical codes that generally preclude spray booths as "contractor shop drawings" for obtaining an overall building permit. If your work is incorporated by an architect or civil engineer into a complete plans/data submittal, then the licensed professional is taking responsibility for your document accuracy and you are effectively under the direct supervision of that licensed design professional.

There are many "kits" available; some are relatively easy for plan review as the complete assembly of booth structure, mechanical, and electrical are all designed, tested, and listed (typically UL) with only a few field conditions left to figure out for electrical and mechanical. The "headache" kits are cobbled messes of unlisted, unengineered structure, and mountains of uncollated "cut sheets" for hundreds of components. The headache variety is usually 4 out of 5 submittals with super angry customers when the super long plan review list is essentially "back to the drawing board" and "get an architect or civil engineer to be in responsible charge of the project".

cda said:
Even a kit spray booth???Interesting
Yes there are requirements as to classified electrical within ranges of openings. Discharge requirements have to be met and environmental discharge permits may be required. There is a degree of pollution control needed, overspray filters at a minimum, sometimes solvent recovery or solvent destruction--depending on the location and the coatings used. Air velocity requirements based on type of painting operation.

No one answered my question. I'm not asking if I need an engineer license to do the plans as I am working as the contractor in submitting plans and have done this for 10 years now. The question is where to go to get the license of "Designer of Plans".

First off, I'm a building designer. There is no license required to design buildings and projects exempt from the requirement of plans & other documentations/specifications be prepared by or under the supervision of a licensed architect and/or engineer.

Some jurisdictions may require certain drawings or otherwise considered complex in nature to be prepared by an architect or engineer. However, this is often a discretionary of the building official of the local AHJ. However, when a building or project is statutorily exempt under the architect or engineer's licensing laws like SFRs and occassionally some small MFRs, a building official may consider validity of a CERTIFIED building designer in a judgment call. What is a certified building designer? A building designer that is certified by a building design certification. In the U.S., there is pretty much only one actual building designer certification. That is the NCBDC CPBD certification. NCBDC is an independent council of the AIBD.

The certification is undergoing significant revamping as it undergoes ANSI accreditation process. In part of the process is for making the exam more robust, justified cut-scores, subject matter validation which includes building codes in the examination. With this in mind as well as any ICC certification a person may have as a building design professional may be considered by the building official. This is why it is important to establish a good, professional repport with the building department. A building official is going to consider whether or not you have a sound understanding of the subject matter while that statutes of law ultimately trumps discretion but the building codes often allows for a range of discretion.

If your project is exempt from an architect's stamp, a professional building designer would not need an architect's stamp on those projects. They may need an engineer. Choosing the appropriate consultant is part of the job. Nothing is meant to demean architects. Clients just aren't going to pay twice for essentially the same service. They aren't going to pay an building designer and an architect to do the same thing. That is like paying two people to prepare what is essentially 'architectural floor plans, elevations, sections, interior" even though as building designers we substitute 'architectural" with the words "building design". It is basically the same thing for what matters.

In Oregon, where I am, I am liable for the plans I prepare.

On a set of permits, you would more likely scratch out 'architect' and write in 'building designer' or 'designer' and put the designer information in where applicable. If you are a certified building designer, you would have an CPBD stamp/seal and have your certification #. Just don't represent it has license number.

I'm suggesting you certification over architectural or engineering licensure because you don't need it nor shouldn't. You can simply partner with an architect or engineer or subcontract the engineer as a consultant. Unless you are willing to invest 8 YEARS of full-time academic study & experience or experience and taking considerable time studying to take the exams. I don't think as a business owner, that you would necessarily want to close up business which makes you money and pay the bills to do all that because it just isn't like you can study architecture at architecture school at part-time level which would take you even more time. In which case, you can end up spending 16 to 20 years to get through all that and still run the contracting business. You would have to shut down the contracting business to be able to study and focus on architecture school and internship.

I know the pain. It don't know if it is viable for you but NCBDC certification is probably more achievable but it isn't the same thing as an architect/engineer license. It is a certification and can be used to relieve concerns of some building officials/departments because ultimately they want to be sure the plans are properly prepared and that you aren't just a schmuck submitting garbage.

In California and I would expect other states, building designers have no legal status.

An architect or engineer who works on a project with a building designer needs to be careful or he/she may end up accepting more liability than was the original intention.

Mark K said:
In California and I would expect other states, building designers have no legal status.An architect or engineer who works on a project with a building designer needs to be careful or he/she may end up accepting more liability than was the original intention.
More than that;

an architect or engineer that stamps plans that he/she does not prepare or have direct control over their production is in violation of his/her licensure.