• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

do I need a separate permit to dig a trench to run electrical?

tylerp

I'm digging a 25 foot trench to install an electric car charger. I'm working with an electrician who already has a permit for the electrical portion of the job, but he pretty sure that there needs to be a separate building permit to dig the trench. I have a ticket from when I had the utilities marked, but he seems to think I need something in addition to that. Does anyone know if that's the case?

Welcome

Ok we had a Priest join the other day, now a Dentist!! We are moving up.

Should not need one.

Call the city and ask.

If you are digging it yourself, just beware the flags can be off a little. If the ground is not hard and trench not that long, would suggest manually digging it, not a machine.

People dig in their yards all the time.

I would think the permit for the electrical includes trenching, I have never heard otherwise.

You don't need a permit to dig a hole in the ground.

Call the local Building Department.

Welcome and good luck!

Depends on the AHJ you are in. Here you need to call for locates, and need the electrical permit. May also need a permit if working in the road or alley. Would be best to contact you local AHJ.

Welcome

Ok we had a Priest join the other day, now a Dentist!! We are moving up.

Should not need one.

Call the city and ask.

If you are digging it yourself, just beware the flags can be off a little. If the ground is not hard and trench not that long, would suggest manually digging it, not a machine.

People dig in their yards all the time.

Ha! Thanks

The permit should include whatever digging is necessary and make sure to comply with the "call before you dig" laws. I am not aware of any municipality that requires a separate permit for a trench used for electrical.

Any department that requires 2 permits for an electrical trench loves paperwork.....Granted, if you are in a wetlands area or some other site constraint there could be a separate process for that....