• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Do multiple buildings on a property change the occupancy classification for that building?

Gary Holiday

I have a property with two buildings on it, one is a multi-family home, it has 3 dwellings in it and was grandfathered in from previous building codes. There is another building in the back used as a workshop with a loft above. I'm planning on converting the back building into two new apartments. The building will only have 2 dwellings within it. However, when speaking with the city, they said I will need to install a fire sprinkler system in the building because it is classified as R-2 in the Michigan Building Code. I said it's classified as an R-3 because the building will only have two dwellings, but he claimed that since there are multiple buildings on the property, the total amount of dwellings is 5, so its R-2. This does not make any sense to me, and certain people within the city council do not want me to add more units, and I believe the inspector is fudging the guidelines to try and deter me from converting the units. Does anyone have insight on this?

So is your only real issue,,

If you have to have fire sprinklers or not?

Does appear to be a R-3

Good question when you mix and match. I guess the property is zoned, or whatever term is used there for multiple rental units on one property???

Yes, I wan't to know if I need to have a sprinkler system installed, the building inspector says I do, however, the building code clearly states that detached two family dwellings need to follow the Michigan Residential Building code, which does not require sprinkler system. He claims since there is another building on the property it makes it count as R-2, but again, logically that doesn't make sense.

Yes, I wan't to know if I need to have a sprinkler system installed, the building inspector says I do, however, the building code clearly states that detached two family dwellings need to follow the Michigan Residential Building code, which does not require sprinkler system. He claims since there is another building on the property it makes it count as R-2, but again, logically that doesn't make sense.

Your opinion is mine,,, since you can have multiple occupancy types on one property.

Will you post a link to the residential code

I would say you are correct also Gary, unles there are some Michigan amendments or the two buildings are so close that they "have to" be considered "one building"?

Sounds like you need to start climbing the ladder in the dept, till someone says R-3/ no sprinklers, or everyone says NO, than hit the appeal trail.

Your opinion is mine,,, since you can have multiple occupancy types on one property.

Will you post a link to the residential code

Here is the Michigan residential code https://up.codes/viewer/michigan/mi-residential-code-2015/chapter/1/scope-and-administration#1. You can see in chapter 1 under scope, it clearly states detached two-family dwelling.

I actually don't believe it event qualifies as an R-3, because in the Michigan Building Code https://up.codes/viewer/michigan/mi-building-code-2015/chapter/1/scope-and-administration#1 under Scope, it clearly states Exceptions: Detached one- and two-family dwellings ... shall comply with the International Residential Code.

The buildings are over 60 feet apart. So I don't see how you can qualify them as one building.

Sounds as If a lot split may be in order if they want to play their game?
Is the existing building of sound construction?