• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

does ansul fire suppression system trigger building to have fire alarm?

syarn

Silver Member
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
2009 IBC

3100 sf, 1 story building;

restaurant use (A2);

no existing fire alarm or fire sprinkler system.

renovation is adding a grease producing char broiler so a type 1 hood with ansul system is being installed.

does a fire alarm system (per section 903 or 904) now also have to be installed to monitor the ansul system?

Greetings,

Short answer is no. But why is there no sprinkler system? It sounds like it may be needed depending on the occ load.

BS

Greetings,

Sounds like your good to go. I do em all the time like that for taco shacks and the like.

BS

Maybe local???

CK

Is the bell inside the building or out???

If inside who is going to hear it when the building is closed???

Last edited by a moderator:
Not if the panel cover on the control actuator shows (Armed/Fired - Green/Red). I believe "where provided" the system can be connected to the building system. (little late and just read others...nice to see consensus at work :)

NFPA 72 requires the system trip the fire alarm,but only if already equiped with a fire alarm.

Not if the panel cover on the control actuator shows (Armed/Fired - Green/Red). I believe "where provided" the system can be connected to the building system. (little late and just read others...nice to see consensus at work :)
I know this is resurrecting an old post but I'm not having any luck. I've got a small restaurant with a hood suppression system and no required fire alarm. If I'm understanding you correctly the panel cover just needs to indicate if the system is armed or has fired? I know we've had inspectors in the past require a single horn/strobe for systems where the building didn't require a FAS but had a hood suppression system. I just can't find any codifying language that seems to require it. There is nothing in our local requirements but I know some jurisdictions require it.

No fire alarm required or bell or,,

Unless you are talking paint booth

Thank jack in box or whatever fast food place, they have a hood system but no fire alarm/ normally

No fire alarm required or bell or,,

Unless you are talking paint booth

Thank jack in box or whatever fast food place, they have a hood system but no fire alarm/ normally

Yep. It's typically the small fast food joints. I did notice some language in NFPA 17A that seemed to require something if the actuator is electronic and there is no visible way to determine if the system is charged/armed as WB noted above.