• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

? Does the IRC require a Handrail on Ramps 1:12 or Less?

tbz

Silver Member
So, my question is per the 2021 IRC are handrails required on ramps that are between 1:20 & up to 1:12?

Here is the code section in question

R311.8.3Handrails required.
Handrails shall be provided on not less than one side of ramps exceeding a slope of 1 unit vertical in 12 units horizontal (8.33-percent slope).

So, the way I read this, a handrail is not required on residential ramps at all unless you break the 1:12 into the steeper 1:8 allowed for ramps, not serving the designated egress door.

I highlighted the word exceeding above, to show the trigger.

Agree or disagree

The key word as you indicated is "exceeding" so you can have a ramp that is up to and exactly 1-in-12 without a handrail. Any steeper than that, a handrail would be required.

What I am envisioning is the below without the handrails, which the installation does not exceed 1:12, nor is it over 30" above grade or walking surface and as thus per the 2021 IRC, does not require guards, nor does it require handrails on an installation like shown, again as per code.

Not saying someone can't install them, just questioning that the code does not require them, I am guessing this is because they are not required for stair flights until 4 or more risers are present. But linked to pitch, not a minimum run length or minimum rise of the single ramp slope.

Or am I reading something incorrectly and for the record, the wording has been in the IRC since at least 2006, still checking the 2003 and 2000.

Just wondering what you think

1639398111883.jpeg

Just because it is not required, does not mean it is the right thing to do.

Code is the minimum, not best practice.

ramp.jpeg

The handrail and guard are not required...well unless the goal is a safe ramp. The landings could benefit from edge protection.

Last edited:
Tom, I am sure you would get BO support to make HR required from1:20 and steeper...If that is where you are going....
I was thinking "exceeding 1:20 on a sloped rise over 16", hence a double point of trigger.

My thought is this would still allow for lower rising ramp surfaces going up 2 risers to not require the handrails, the same as before and fall in with some of those jurisdictions that modify the riser portion and allow 8.25" risers and standard 8" masonry construction.

I am not sure how this would go over, and I don't have crystal ball, but all my years of mainly working in the commercial section on ramps, I never really looked at this wording in the IRC, I missed the 1:12 and thought it was 1:20.

I always wondered why we basically didn't care about residential ramps...but never had the time to investigate...
Is it possible as since, I believe, a ramp is never required in an IRC building, that the less stringent railing requirements may actually encourage more accessiblility by allowing it to be less expensive? Could a stricter railing requirement actually reduce the number of houses where a person using a wheelchair can enter?

My house is not accesible. A rail-less ramp would be both much less expensive and much easier to make aesthetically pleasing and integrated.

From what I have found and recall, the IRC is less restrictive with regards to safety (i.e. guards) and accessibility (i.e. ramps) because the inhabitants are going to be familiar with the environment. Furthermore, typically as the owner or a long-term resident of the dwelling, they will be aware of their own needs, and will install railings, ramps, etc. as needed to accommodate those needs. It allows them the freedom to add the elements that they need without applying a significant number of conditions or requirements that are not needed for their personal situation.

Conversely, the IBC takes a different approach. The IBC is more restrictive with regards to safety and accessibility because the occupants are in some cases, only going to visit one time. They will have much less familiarity and generally be less aware of their environment. Due to the lack of awareness of the hazards, the IBC requires additional safeguards (i.e. taller guards, guards in more locations, etc.).

I have never seen a permit for, or inspected a ramp at a single family dwelling. I have encountered many while there for some other reason. A few looked like they were built to bring in a refrigerator. Most appeared to be temporary.

Last edited:
We see 2 or 3 a year and they are always for providing accessibility for the resident. Since that is the purpose of the ramp we give them the requirements for an accessible ramp. In our climate it would be crazy not to have a hand rail