• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Does this bathroom layout meet code?

pathanay

Hello,

I have a hallway and closet that I'm thinking of converting to a half bath. It's a little awkward and I'm not sure I can meet the 24 in. space in front of the shower.

What do you think?

k6eRmNA.png

Where did the 24" code come from? What are the finished dimensions of the shower stall?

Sink is an odd size. good luck finding that.
Shower door min width 22" clear....
the room appears to meet clearances.

1. Is this on the first or second floor?
2. Is corridor door existing? If not consider using a sliding barn door as I have done on a similar sized bathroom.
3. Can toilet location be swapped with the sink? If so then you could use a corner sink just as I just did in a similar sized space..

IRC R307.1

No min. size requirement

Need to measure straight out in front of the shower opening min. 24". Center of lab is to be 15" from side wall.
My R307.1 sends me to the CPC. I can't find anything about it in the CPC.

It's a little awkward and I'm not sure I can meet the 24 in. space in front of the shower.

What do you think?

I think your right, your measurement is at an angle and does not meet the IRC figure R307.1, like Rick sez "need to measure straight from the shower to the WC.

I mistakenly took the 2'0" as a shower door swing.

IPC 417.4.2 Access
...The shower compartment access and egress opening shall have a clear and unobstructed finished width of not less than 22 inches (559 mm). Shower compartments required to be designed in conformance to accessibility provisions shall comply with Section 404.1.
IRC
P2708.1.1 Access The shower compartment access and egress opening shall have a clear and unobstructed finished width of not less than 22 inches (559 mm).

tiger there is nothing in the CPC regarding this These are the closest sections

CA Plumbing Code 402.5 Setting
...The clear space in front of a water closet, lavatory, or bidet shall be not less than 24 inches (610 mm). No urinal shall be set closer than 12 inches (305 mm) from its center to a side wall or partition nor closer than 24 inches (610 mm) center to center (nothing regarding Showers)
CA Plumbing Code 408.5 Finished Curb or Threshold

Thresholds shall be of sufficient width to accommodate a minimum 22 inch (559 mm) door. Shower doors shall open so as to maintain not less than a 22 inch (559 mm) unobstructed opening for egress. (No really pertaining) Nothing regarding front clearances.

CA Plumbing Code 402.5 Setting Fixtures shall be set level and in proper alignment with reference to adjacent walls. No water closet or bidet shall be set closer than 15 inches (381 mm) from its center to a side wall or obstruction nor closer than 30 inches (762 mm) center to center to a similar fixture. (is a toilet and shower a similar fixture?)

The shower department access is 22-inches (opening into shower?)

The clearance in front of the shower is 24-inches. See figure R307.1

Isn't this two different requirements?

Thanks all for your replies. I've drawn up new plans based on the feedback. Could you please take a look?
Where did the 24" code come from? What are the finished dimensions of the shower stall?
I'm using the 2016 California Residential Code and 2016 California Plumbing Code. As some members have noted the CPC seems to omit any shower clearance requirement:
tiger there is nothing in the CPC regarding this These are the closest sections
Although I don't imagine they would go less than the IRC. Usually they are stricter than the IRX: like requiring 24 inches in front of the toilet, instead of 21 in.

The shower dimensions are 32x32.
Why do you want the shower
I really need a second shower for the morning school/work rush..
1. Is this on the first or second floor?
2. Is corridor door existing? If not consider using a sliding barn door as I have done on a similar sized bathroom.
3. Can toilet location be swapped with the sink? If so then you could use a corner sink just as I just did in a similar sized space..
1. First floor.
2. Corridor door is not existing. Barn door is a good idea. But I'd prefer an inswing if possible. (I know, I'm asking too much.)
3. Good idea! I've drawn up a new plan (below). But I tried to fit in a standard 24x19 vanity.

wofJVdp.png

The clear space in front of the toilet is 24 inches but not for the entire 30 inches. There is a corner overlapping the vanity. Would that matter?
Thanks again! You all are really helpful.

Use a corner sink with a 45 degree medicine cabinet above it and it will feel more spacious.
Don't forget an exhaust fan. Towel bar on back of door? Include a recess in the shower for shampoo and shaving gear?

There was nothing wrong with the former design and it works better than the new design.

Please verify with your building department as the the minimum interior dimensions required for a shower. I thought CPC 408.6 requires a minimum finished interior of 1024 square inches, and capable of encompassing a 30 inch circle.

It appears you are doing this for a single family house, no? Intend to stay forever? N0t good for resale.
Just how small are you folks? any shower less than 36 x 36 ia awkward. Consider a chainpull WC with a wall mounted tank to provide more clear floor space.