• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Doors in an exit passageway

Sifu

SAWHORSE
I have a building that is restoring an exit passageway, where they had removed one sometime in the past. There are electrical panels in the passageway. They are proposing to enclose them with small fire barriers and door, swinging into the EP, with the open doors allowing the working space. These rooms are only big enough for the panels so no occupants. I am ok with them swinging into the EP, but I have a concern about the hold-open requirement and the safety of electrical workers. I think the doors must swing open 180 degrees, so an electrician isn't in danger from being whacked into the live open panel from someone pushing on the door. If a self-closing device is installed, the only way I see it working is to put the door on a magnetic hold-open that drops with alarm or suppression. Any thoughts?

So you are just trying to restore the rating part? Not necessarily the used for no other purpose part?

1020.1 General. Exits shall comply with Sections 1020
through 1026 and the applicable requirements of Sections
1003 through 1013. An exit shall not be used for any purpose
that interferes with its function as a means of egress.

1023.1 Exit passageway. Exit passageways serving as an exit
component in a means of egress system shall comply with the
requirements of this section. An exit passageway shall not be
used for any purpose other than as a means of egress.

1023.6 Penetrations. Penetrations into and openings through
an exit passageway are prohibited except for required exit
doors, equipment and ductwork necessary for independent
pressurization, sprinkler piping, standpipes, electrical raceway
for fire department communication and electrical race
way serving the exit passageway and terminating at a steel
box not exceeding 16 square inches (0.010m2). Such penetrations
shall be protected in accordance with Section 714.
There shall be no penetrations or communicating openings,
whether protected or not, between adjacent exit passageways.

The permit is to restore the passageway altogether. It was either never built or renovated out sometime in the last 30 years. (doors removed, openings added, penetrations etc.) The owners have realized the only way to make improvements is to restore the required exit enclosure but there are electrical panels in what will be the exit enclosure. They proposed constructing an additional set of fire barriers but after some thought and conversations with fire and electrical, they are going to need to move them.