• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Douglas Fir-Larch (One species or 2?) Slightly confused

Herb C

In my 2015 IRC code book. (Floor Joist Span R502.3.1) is has Douglas fir-larch listed as a species. Is this one species or is it saying I can use either the Douglas Fir or Larch species? Thanks in advance.

You can use either species
Douglas Fir and Western Larch often grow in intermixed stands. Coastal and Inland Douglas Fir and Western Larch share similar structural performance characteristics and are often combined in dimension lumber structural products.

You can use either species
Douglas Fir and Western Larch often grow in intermixed stands. Coastal and Inland Douglas Fir and Western Larch share similar structural performance characteristics and are often combined in dimension lumber structural products.
Much appreciated mtlogcabin. Thanks for the response. I spent a few days trying to figure that out.