• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

draft curtains and closely spaced sprinklers around a convenience stair

Nicole Brooks

The client would like to create a convenience stair between it's 2nd and 3rd floor suite in a type IIA office building. I am having trouble understanding whether or not a draft stop is required. I've attached the enhanced content of section of NFPA 13. It says under 9.3.5.1 that unless the requirements of 9.3.5.4 are met ( which my opening does not as it is only 18' wide and far less than 1000 sf), where moving stairways, staircases, or similar floor openings are unenclosed and where sprinkler protection is serving as the alternative to enclosure of the vertical opening, the floor openings shall be protected by closely spaced sprinklers in combination with draft curtains. The enhanced content states that "closely spaced sprinklers and draft stops are required around vertical opening s only if the local building code or NFPA 101 would otherwise require them. I meet all of the requirement of NFPA 101 for an unenclosed opening, so no barrier required, I have three enclosed egress stairs throughout the building. Then at the bottom of the enhanced content that a draft curtain is not required because of NFPA 101 9.3.5.1. There is no such section. It was probably in an older version, but I have yet to find it. Does this seem a logical conclusion that I don't need a draft curtain?

1681846946471.png

1681847401443.png
1681847115649.png

Attachments

• 1681847551114.png
    1681847551114.png
    154.8 KB · Views: 0
The client would like to create a convenience stair between it's 2nd and 3rd floor suite in a type IIA office building. I am having trouble understanding whether or not a draft stop is required. I've attached the enhanced content of section of NFPA 13. It says under 9.3.5.1 that unless the requirements of 9.3.5.4 are met ( which my opening does not as it is only 18' wide and far less than 1000 sf), where moving stairways, staircases, or similar floor openings are unenclosed and where sprinkler protection is serving as the alternative to enclosure of the vertical opening, the floor openings shall be protected by closely spaced sprinklers in combination with draft curtains. The enhanced content states that "closely spaced sprinklers and draft stops are required around vertical opening s only if the local building code or NFPA 101 would otherwise require them. I meet all of the requirement of NFPA 101 for an unenclosed opening, so no barrier required, I have three enclosed egress stairs throughout the building. Then at the bottom of the enhanced content that a draft curtain is not required because of NFPA 101 9.3.5.1. There is no such section. It was probably in an older version, but I have yet to find it. Does this seem a logical conclusion that I don't need a draft curtain?

View attachment 10531

View attachment 10536
View attachment 10533
Forgot part of the enhanced code quote "closely spaced sprinklers and draft stops are required around vertical openings only if the local building code or NFPA 101 would otherwise require that it would be protected by a barrier.”

I assume you use IBC?

1019.3 Occupancies other than Groups I-2 and I-3. In
other than Group I-2 and I-3 occupancies, floor openings
containing exit access stairways or ramps shall be enclosed
with a shaft enclosure constructed in accordance with
Section 713.
Exceptions:
1. Exit access stairways and ramps that serve or
atmospherically communicate between only two
adjacent stories. Such interconnected stories shall
not be open to other stories.

I assume you use IBC?

1019.3 Occupancies other than Groups I-2 and I-3. In
other than Group I-2 and I-3 occupancies, floor openings
containing exit access stairways or ramps shall be enclosed
with a shaft enclosure constructed in accordance with
Section 713.
Exceptions:
1. Exit access stairways and ramps that serve or
atmospherically communicate between only two
adjacent stories. Such interconnected stories shall
not be open to other stories.
We use both 2018 NFPA 101 and 2015 IBC. I concluded I was fine with a convenience opening in IBC per 7.12.1.9 - Two Story opening

The beginning of the section you started with is prefaced on the close sprinklers in lieu of a rating....If you are allowed an opening, you are good....At least in CT...