• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Drywall question

pletzer28

Small new commercial woodworking shop 2640 sqft. Total with different rooms so non sprinkled. I am wondering code for celling drywall. Its on my state approved plans as 5/8 sheetrock. Building is in Wisconsin. I am I required to have double 5/8s on celling??

Thanks

So you have state approved plans with one layer ?

That should fly

Why are you asking about another layer??

Yes it just says 5/8 drywall w/ vapor barrier. points to ceiling and walls in drawing on multiple pages.

Been getting asked by when getting quotes. Also neighbor guy that has drywall company said he had to have 2 layers at his shop but he had mezzanine above. I have raised cored truss and will blow r 50 in ceiling.

thanks

Unless you are required a rated assembly, you should be good to go.

The approved plans give you a back up as long as they truly represent everything going on with the space and business

This is an oldie, but have a similar scenario, wood shop/cabinet shop in excess of 2500 sq ft. This would appear to trigger the need for fire sprinklers of different fire areas?