• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Duplex with exit door blocked

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Just got a phone call from the property maintenance inspector. They got a call from the ambulance service that the rear of one side of a double block had the back porch blocked off with no door and now there is only 1 way out of that side which is the front door. He asked me if this was a code violation. I said, no except for the fact that they did work without a permit. As long as they have 1 exit door that is 36" and it is the front door then I have nothing to do with it.

My thoughts are:

1) They will be cited for performing work without a pemit.

2) If the front door is 36" or more then egress/exit has been met.

3) If the front door is <36" then they will be enlarging it.

Thoughts?

Re: Duplex with exit door blocked

I agree Jeff, not a violation to eliminate a door in excess of the required exit door. And, as far as working w/o a permit, if they merely covered an opening, that is not required, not doing any structural work, would a permit be required?

I'm saying no, I would want them to ask the question ahead of time..........

I don't think EERO's come into play here, as long as they still met the requirements for the time the duplex was built.

JMHO

Re: Duplex with exit door blocked

I would have to check the building code in 1898 to verify what was in place at the time. We are loaded with old coal company houses.