• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

DuroSpan and Steelmaster arch buildings as primary structure in Florida

CyberPine

Anybody happen to know?

Given these metal arch buildings come in 18ga rated at 173MPH and come signed with Florida engineering plans, it would seem (and I've heard of cases) where they can and have been used as primary dwellings in Florida with some required changes. Durospan sells their buildings with a PDF of Florida Approved plans an engineer can add required changes to.

In particular I am wondering about Energy requirements and how that works. For example, would 1x4 furring with 2 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. R-7.7 Rigid Foam Insulation by R-tech in between covered by 1/4 wood paneling pass?

Photos

Anybody happen to know?

Given these metal arch buildings come in 18ga rated at 173MPH and come signed with Florida engineering plans, it would seem (and I've heard of cases) where they can and have been used as primary dwellings in Florida with some required changes. Durospan sells their buildings with a PDF of Florida Approved plans an engineer can add required changes to.

In particular I am wondering about Energy requirements and how that works. For example, would 2x4 furring with 2 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. R-7.7 Rigid Foam Insulation by R-tech in between covered by 1/4 wood paneling pass?

Photos

I don't know the FL code but the 2015 IRC requires at least R 30 or 38 in ceilings in FL but R-7.7 foam may work with a ResCheck.
Thanks. That R30 is just for the insulation, or do they look a the entire sandwhich? Most counties go with what the Florida Code expects. I saw a post of somebody in Citrus county passing with the metal structure and a layer of expanding foam that could not have been 2 inches think.. I am asking for Highlands county.

Sorry is ResCheck, just a residential check with the county? if not know where I can get more info on that?

Thanks.

Sorry is ResCheck, just a residential check with the county? if not know where I can get more info on that?
Rescheck is one of the computer based alternative systems to comply with the energy provisions of the IRC made by the feds..
I'm sure you can get more info from the county and the FRC.
Heres a link https://www.energycodes.gov/rescheck
ResCheck is just for residential. ComCheck is for commercial