• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Early 1900's Home With Basement Seepage Problems

Alias

Okay, what is a good solution for waterproofing a rock & concrete foundation? Anything quick, cheap, and easy?

A little background information on the home. It was built circa 1906 and is located in the UP of Michigan. At some point, the steps for walkout portion of the basement were enclosed. The now enclosed area has a long ago clogged/collapsed drain line for a floor drain. Rock wall is about level with grade at the back of the house, wood walls above grade.

Water is seeping in every time it rains. I'm attaching photos, taken today, showing the puddle formed and rock walls. I vacuumed out the water from the last storm yesterday. The floor was dry this morning.

First photo is of the puddle, photo #3 is of the rock wall, photo #2 shows water seeping on the large rock.

http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u452/fiddlefooted/electrical/basement/basement1.jpg

http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u452/fiddlefooted/electrical/basement/basement3.jpg

http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u452/fiddlefooted/electrical/basement/basement2.jpg

Any help would be appreciated, winter is coming........thanks!

Sue :mrgreen:

Last edited by a moderator:
Coating FAQ

Can the Xypex coating be applied to the negative side of a structure? Yes. Although applied as a coating, Xypex is not relying on its surface bonding capability to achieve its waterproofing effect. By means of diffusion, the reactive chemicals in the Xypex coating migrate through the capillary tracts within the concrete to become an integral part of the concrete mass. Therefore, the Xypex coating can be applied to either the positive (water side) or negative side even against strong hydrostatic pressure.

How deep does the Xypex crystalline formation penetrate the concrete?

The Xypex chemical reactions that initially take place at the concrete surface will continue deep into the concrete structure. Various factors affect the rate and depth of crystallization within the concrete. Some of these factors are: number of Xypex coats, mix design of the concrete, density, porosity, cement content, exposure to moisture and temperature. Independent testing measured the depth of Xypex crystalline penetration into a cast-in-place concrete block at 30 cm (approximately 12"). The test concrete sample was coated on the top surface with Xypex Concentrate and left outside the research laboratory in ambient temperatures for 12 months.

Is the Xypex coating suitable for use on surfaces other than concrete? READ

Xypex is totally compatible with the chemistry of concrete, whether poured-in-place, pre-cast or shotcrete. It is not suitable for application to cut-limestone, clay brick, wood, metals, asphalt or other non-concrete building materials.
While Xypex appears to be amazing in how it works, I am skeptical that it would seal the interface between the rocks and the concrete.

ICE said:
Coating FAQ While Xypex appears to be amazing in how it works, I am skeptical that it would seal the interface between the rocks and the concrete.
They have a patch and plug product that is a hydraulic cement type product

xypex is a great product,I have been specifying it for almost thirty years, never a client complaint.

MtnArch said:
Move back to California ... specifically the San Joaquin Valley! ;-)
Not unless someone offers me a big fat paycheck and moves me back at their expense. :p

Sue, in the forested UP of Michigan......ahhhhhh, Pure Michigan.............:mrgreen:

Now Mike Holmes would say

Basements don't look fun

Last edited by a moderator:
I tend to agree with the sump pit and pump solution. Older foundations were not 'designed' for the most part, certainly not to restrain against hydrostatic pressure the way modern foundations are. Allowing the water to seep through the stone foundation can alleviate a lot of that pressure.