• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Earth Contact Homes

It should alos be possible to open the bedrooms into a courtyard as long as there is a way out of the courtyard (think of it as a huge window well).

Could you find a solution if you used the IBC. The IRC was not likely intended to apply to these situations and hence does not provide the richness of solutions that are in the IBC>

Could you find a solution if you used the IBC. The IRC was not likely intended to apply to these situations and hence does not provide the richness of solutions that are in the IBC>

What is the out??

Mark has some good advice, but I am not sure that IBC would actually get you there, but it might.....Window wells or other bulkhead/ basement type egress in each bedroom?

2018 IRC
4. Within individual dwelling and sleeping units in Groups R-2 and R-3, where the building is equipped throughout with an automatic sprinkler system installed in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1, 903.3.1.2 or 903.3.1.3, sleeping rooms in basements shall not be required to have emergency escape and rescue openings provided that the basement has one of the following:

4.1. One means of egress and one emergency escape and rescue opening.

4.2. Two means of egress.

First, I am not familiar with Earth Contact Homes? I've seen underground homes, cob homes, and sod homes. Where does the building codes does define "Earth Contact home"?

As for emergency egress (escape) openings, it's pretty clear in the residential code (IRC). There are no sprinkler exception for emergency escape openings for basements and sleeping rooms that I am aware of. And, you may call me old, but as a Building Official, I would not allow any exception to what is plainly prescribed in the IRC for any FIRE/LIFE/SAFETY requirement.

First, I am not familiar with Earth Contact Homes? I've seen underground homes, cob homes, and sod homes. Where does the building codes does define "Earth Contact home"?

As for emergency egress (escape) openings, it's pretty clear in the residential code (IRC). There are no sprinkler exception for emergency escape openings for basements and sleeping rooms that I am aware of. And, you may call me old, but as a Building Official, I would not allow any exception to what is plainly prescribed in the IRC for any FIRE/LIFE/SAFETY requirement.
I had to google "Earth Contact Homes" and a bunch of stuff came up. Obviously it's not a building code term, I think I would equate it to the entire home being a "daylight basement" and plan-checked accordingly.

We have had someone bring in an earth contact home and I was looking for advice on Section 310 of the 2018 IRC.
thank you any help is appreciated
The way I see it, what level are the sleeping rooms on, the IRC defines a basement as below grade plane period, thus the outside walls in contact with the earth for the sleeping rooms would be defined as basement and as thus EERO required.

Whether this is done with a separate window well or common court yard is up to the designer and owner, but the fancy name for the home type does not change were the grade plane sits, IMO.

Got to have an out!

Last edited: