• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Educational 'pods'

sergoodo

Teachers are turning their homes into educational 'pods' and 'pods' will evolve and eventually filter into commercial buildings. SO
If B occupancy building wants to lease an open office as a 'pod' then the following can simplify change of use for the space:

Allow kids to in the following space?:
Building less than 12,000sf
Ground floor room
Max 49 Group E occupant area
2 exits with 1 exit directly to exterior
Non-separated occupancy
Accessible egress
Accessible WC

903.2.3 Group E. Exemption question: if below the lowest level of exit discharge then exception applicable f you have stairs up to the one exit door at ground level to exterior? Exception for a basement? Is exception applicable @level of exit discharge?

903.2.3 Group E.
An automatic sprinkler system shall be provided for Group E occupancies as follows:
1.Throughout all Group E fire areas greater than 12,000 square feet (1115 m2) in area.
2.Throughout every portion of educational buildings below the lowest level of exit discharge serving that portion of the building.
Exception: An automatic sprinkler system is not required in any area below the lowest level of exit discharge serving that area where every classroom throughout the building has not fewer than one exterior exit door at ground level.

No

Depends

Do you really have an E??

Educational Group E occupancy includes, among others, the use of a building or structure, or a portion thereof, by six or more persons at any one time for educational purposes through the 12th grade.

Me I would only have five at a time, and maybe four hour sessions

So teach eight a day

No

Depends

Do you really have an E??

Educational Group E occupancy includes, among others, the use of a building or structure, or a portion thereof, by six or more persons at any one time for educational purposes through the 12th grade.

Me I would only have five at a time, and maybe four hour sessions

So teach eight a day
The thought is there will be teachers who will eventually want to move pods outta the home. This will involve a change of use and most likely be in an office space. I see there may be a possibility with certain existing unsprinkled B Group space and minimal upgrades.

The thought is there will be teachers who will eventually want to move pods outta the home. This will involve a change of use and most likely be in an office space. I see there may be a possibility with certain existing unsprinkled B Group space and minimal upgrades.

Out side the box thinking.

In the old days, called them tutor help

Out side the box thinking.

In the old days, called them tutor help

Yes but that was usually one on one. Aren't some Nannies also tutors too?
What if # of kids is>5, would the house then become an "E"?