• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Egress Problems (photos)

LGreene

People send me photos all the time...I thought you might like to see a few from today's blog post:
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
:(

View attachment 1691

View attachment 1692

View attachment 1693

View attachment 1691

View attachment 1692

View attachment 1693

/monthly_2012_04/572953e5d78ed_PizzaShopExit-web.jpg.901ec6fdffd9aef876f3aeb56f7fd395.jpg

/monthly_2012_04/572953e5db0a9_RimxRemovableMullion-web.jpg.d6c0f0d7ae19df1e395e97e997f082d0.jpg

/monthly_2012_04/572953e5df9ca_2MotionstoExit-web.jpg.3c5413be3b50b6186ae156e20c68bd2a.jpg

LGreene said:
People send me photos all the time...I thought you might like to see a few from today's blog post:
attachment.php
Suddenly I'm hungry. Looks like the boxes were there before the X-it Em combo.

They can't make their 30 minute delivery guarantee if they don't stack the pizza's by the door.

High Desert said:
They can't make their 30 minute delivery guarantee if they don't stack the pizza's by the door.
Is it a required exit?

Is the Sign Required?

Many times they are not.

"Is it a required exit?

"Is the Sign Required?"

At least the builder had the foresight to locate the sign so the boxes would not obstruct.

:devil

mark handler said:
Is it a required exit? Is the Sign Required?

Many times they are not.
I wasn't there so I'm not 100% sure it's required, but it seems more common that blocked exits with exit signs are required exits than the opposite.

fatboy said:
If it's signed, must comply.........in my hood anyway.
That's good to know...I've always thought that but I've been known to be wrong on occasion. I remember a big discussion we had a long time ago about doors that weren't required exits and whether they needed to meet egress requirements just because they looked like an exit (no sign)...we never could agree on that one.

If there's a sign leading people to the door, it better function like an exit.

"If it's signed, must comply.........in my hood anyway."

I agree. At an opening marked with an illuminated EXIT sign I have never had an AHJ tell me to remove an exit device and replace it with a deadlock.

One of our top 5 violations at final are for exits that are signed that do not meet the requirements and were not designed to be the required exit.

Address is not clearly shown at rear exit doors for fire and rescue responders (it used to be knox-box provision).

Accessible POS is not provided (it used to be under-sink protection).

Accessible signage is not installed correctly (usually on the door).

Emergency lighting is not installed, or incorrectly installed (doesn't work).

Front door signage indicating doors to remain unlocked while building is occuppied (rather than "during business hours" - this is also a top five for plan review comments).

In the image showing the repurposed speedrack and the pair of doors... I know of one AHJ that, without a doubt, upon discovering this would issue two noncompliance tags:

1) Remove the offending device.

2) Replace/repair the exit devices, or provide documentation that the device has been tested (and passed) with those big throughbolt holes in the pushpads. Altering door hardware is never a good idea.

(Note: It does appear that someone took some time making the device. Pretty clean, looks to be sporting a touch-up paint job. Well done! A hack job, but a nice hack job)

Papio Bldg Dept said:
Address is not clearly shown at rear exit doors for fire and rescue responders (it used to be knox-box provision).Accessible POS is not provided (it used to be under-sink protection).

Accessible signage is not installed correctly (usually on the door).

Emergency lighting is not installed, or incorrectly installed (doesn't work).

Front door signage indicating doors to remain unlocked while building is occuppied (rather than "during business hours" - this is also a top five for plan review comments).
Thanks Papio! We don't see the front door signage and accompanying deadbolt all that often around here. I think the AHJs are a little leery about the double cylinder deadbolt.