• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Egress requirements for double gates

GMurphy

I am working on a school that has a double door egress route exiting into a fenced play area. I plan to include double gates with panic hardware existing the play area to the public way, but I am wondering - can the double gates have a center post or does the route need to be completely clear when the gates open?

Welcome

My call you can have a center post

Like a mullion in a building

Last edited:
Each gate has to have at least a 32" clear opening.

You should also provide a solid plate or fine mesh behind the panic bars, so people outside can't stick a hook through the gate and pull on the panic bar to get in.

Each gate has to have at least a 32" clear opening.

You should also provide a solid plate or fine mesh behind the panic bars, so people outside can't stick a hook through the gate and pull on the panic bar to get in.
Also seen a "CC" channel used to enclose the PB to do the same thing