• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Electric oven and hoods

Daniel choi

Hi I was wondering if you have electric oven under a type 1 hood.
does the oven have to shutdown via fire suppression system?

It’s electric and it’s the only thing under the hood

So to clarify in my slow mind

1. You have a type I hood?

2. The only appliance under it is an Electric oven??

3. There is a suppression system protecting this oven???

So to clarify in my slow mind

1. You have a type I hood?

Yes and I’m just wondering if the power has to shut down for the electric oven when there’s a fire.
I know it has to shutdown if there are gas appliances but we have no gas appliances under this hood.
I just never heard of an electric oven having to shut off the same way.

cooking appliances regardless of power that produces grease-laden vapors or use solid fuels (wood charcoal) must be under a type 1 hood and the power to those appliance must shut down at activation of the extinguishing system

Makes sense for gas and electric ... but what gets disconnected with a wood appliance?

Yes and I’m just wondering if the power has to shut down for the electric oven when there’s a fire.
I know it has to shutdown if there are gas appliances but we have no gas appliances under this hood.
I just never heard of an electric oven having to shut off the same way.

Sorry one more time

The answer to your question depends on answers to these

Last edited:
IFC/IBC [904.12.2] requires all fuel and power for commercial cooking equipment under an applicable hood with automatic fire suppression system to be inner connected to disable ALL fuel and power supply to equipment under the hood upon actuation of the system. The equipment must also have a manual reset to fuel and power supplies to appliances.

The purpose is to prevent reigniting of flammable vapor potential from the element of heat (source) in an event the extinguishing agent used in the suppression failed to extinguish the fire.

Sorry one more time

The answer to your question depends on answers to these
No there is no fire suppression system connected to this hood.
So I’m wondering if that’s the case does the power have to go out for this oven?

No there is no fire suppression system connected to this hood.
So I’m wondering if that’s the case does the power have to go out for this oven?

NO

Not sure why the oven is under a Type I hood, but the answer is no.

No, depends on products of combustion produced which one you choose.

The OP said Type I, they also said no suppression....Not possible

509.1 Where required. Commercial cooking appliances required by Section 507.2 to have a Type I hood shall be provided with an approved automatic fire suppression system
complying with the International Building Code and the International Fire Code.

If they are using a Type I hood (constructed) in a Type II required location, then suppression would not be required, but I would document that it is no longer Type I....

This would be the IBC section for the interlock or shunt:

[F] 904.3.3 System interlocking. Automatic equipment
interlocks with fuel shutoffs, ventilation controls, door
closers, window shutters, conveyor openings, smoke and
heat vents and other features necessary for proper operation
of the fire-extinguishing system shall be provided as
required by the design and installation standard utilized for
the hazard.

And then you would go to the standard for the suppression system used...

509.1 Where required. Commercial cooking appliances required by Section 507.2 to have a Type I hood shall be provided with an approved automatic fire suppression system
complying with the International Building Code and the International Fire Code.

If they are using a Type I hood (constructed) in a Type II required location, then suppression would not be required, but I would document that it is no longer Type I....

This would be the IBC section for the interlock or shunt:

[F] 904.3.3 System interlocking. Automatic equipment
interlocks with fuel shutoffs, ventilation controls, door
closers, window shutters, conveyor openings, smoke and
heat vents and other features necessary for proper operation
of the fire-extinguishing system shall be provided as
required by the design and installation standard utilized for
the hazard.

And then you would go to the standard for the suppression system used...

yes it is, guy walks into the vent a hood store,

Salesman says I got this 2021 model Type II hood for $6000

But over here in the scratch and dent aisle I have a 2020 Type I hood for $ 5000

So which do you want??

You can put an oven under a Type I hood and that be the only appliance. Because the appliance does not require suppression, the hood odes not require suppression, and still takes all the hot air out, just a few extra bells and whistles.

OR, you put a deep fat fryer and an oven under the same Type I hood, it is still a Type I hood, even though there is an oven under it.