1. ATTENTION returning members. If you are coming here from the old forum for the first time, you will need to reset you password. However, we had an email problem getting password reset links set out to a lot of the email addresses. That problem is temporarily rectified but IF you still have an issue, email me direct at info@thebuildingcodeforum.com and I will give you a temporary password.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

Electronic plan review

Discussion in 'Plan Review Topics' started by jj1289, Jul 2, 2016.

1. jj1289

jj1289 Sawhorse

I am considering to start accepting plans electronically. Any words of advice? The pros and cons and software being used?

2. jar546

jar546 *****istrator

There really is no software that I am aware of other than they submit them via PDF and I use Adobe Acrobat so that I can attach notes and highlights and return.

3. chris kennedy

chris kennedy Sawhorse

PIA on large sets of plans. Say your looking at pg A21 and then you want to go to A2 to read notes. Now you have to go to ID8 to review detail then back to A21. I'm getting used to it but still prefer paper plans.

rktect 1, jar546 and mark handler like this.
  4. mark handler

mark handler Sawhorse

5. mp25

mp25 Registered User

City of Chicago uses projectdox from avolve software, but i couldn't agree more with Chris's statement.

6. JCraver

JCraver Sawhorse

Don't?

I can't help you with any software reviews because until somebody makes me, I'm going to continue to require paper. If we had a plotter here and I could print them once they're submitted, then I might change my mind.

rktect 1 likes this.
  7. jar546

jar546 *****istrator

Agree but this is the way of the world now

8. pyrguy

pyrguy Moderator

We require both. State records retention regs require paper for archives.

jar546 likes this.
  9. jar546

jar546 *****istrator

we require paper after approval of the electronic review. We save a lot of headache and paper by waiting until after the review is over to ask for paper.

10. cda

cda Sawhorse

Seems like you would have to go back through the paper to see if it matches/ any changes??

11. jar546

jar546 *****istrator

Yes, it is a quick scan of the changes they made and we have the "paperwork" of the emails, letters and previous PDF's if they choose to make other changes without our knowledge. We have them put a cloud around all changed due to plan review. Very quick and simple.

12. FM William Burns

FM William Burns Moderator

I have officially dumped Adobe and use Bluebeam exclusively. Having been doing plans electronically for over 10 years now, Bluebeam hands down is the best and most intuitive to use. You can make your own tool sets, measure, highlight areas and hyperlink sectional details to go back and forth to address Chris' concerns. You can use Go to meeting and work in real time with designers and make changes each way live on the phone. This also is great customer service. I love it for fire sprinkler plan review and one would think I should own stock....I'll be teaching a class in the winter on electronic plan review and will use both Adobe and Bluebeam for demos. Bluebeam people are also hands down great to work with too.

#12 FM William Burns, Jul 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
    jar546 likes this.
  13. FM William Burns

14. mtlogcabin

mtlogcabin Sawhorse

Let me know when and where. I would be interested in sending my fire guy

We started using Bluebeam in January for residential and are starting to work into commercial. Our IT department has stalled us on approving an FTP site for the larger electronic drawings
    Just this week we started using a tough pad in the field. We uploaded the free BlueVu download for the toughpad and the plans examiner invites the inspector into a project with the drawings he needs for the day, load them up, click work offline and take them into the field with him.

Works great as a document reader.

15. FM William Burns

MT,

It will be at MSU in East Lansing for the Michigan Fire Inspectors winter conference (mfis.org) in January 2017. I will getting a seat for Bluebeam shortly and using the full version with CAD. I will be integrating the iPad in soon too.

How do I reply back to the conversation started? :-(

16. mtlogcabin

mtlogcabin Sawhorse

I think you just post a reply like here on the forum

17. FM William Burns

Can't find anywhere to reply back and don't know if I should edit the conversation and you would see that?

18. cda

cda Sawhorse

That "conversation" thing has a learning curve!!

19. Msradell

Msradell Sawhorse

Why would a state require the keeping of paper copies instead of electronic copies? Just the amount of space required to store them in time required to search through them makes electronic copies so much better in every way possible. It's sad to see that some states are still so archaic that they require paper copies to be archived.

Another obvious advantage of electronic copies is that backups can be kept in an off-site location very easily and cheaply. That way there is little to no chance of losing all of your past documentation.

20. mtlogcabin

mtlogcabin Sawhorse

Our state has a whole department dedicated to storing things electronically. The concern from the state was the loss of support for local jurisdictions from the vendor who was storing and reading the electronic documents similar to Microsoft and Quick-books no longer supporting their older versions or the simple fact the older versions will not operate on newer computers.
    Until July of last year local jurisdictions had to keep paper copies of all commercial building projects for the life of the building. That has now changed and local jurisdictions can now use electronic records retention for storing of files and drawings.