• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Elevator Cab Top Exit Code Requirement

MikeDyr

The ASME code requires the canopy (car top) emergency exit to be 400sq. with no side less than 16", got it.However, regarding the suspended ceiling within the cab....The code states that the exit is to be located to allow an unobstructed passage of a parallel piped volume measuring (12" x 20") at an angle notless than 60 degrees from the horizontal. This appears to be from the inside of the cab thru the suspended ceiling, thru the canopy escape exit.Does this technically mean that the access panel in the suspended ceiling, only needs to be 12" x 20" if located directly below the canopy escape hatch???View attachment 2364View attachment 2365

View attachment 2062

View attachment 2063

Top Exit ASME_A17.1(CSA_B44)_2010.pdf

Appendix C ASME_A17.1(CSA_B44)_2010.pdf

Top Exit ASME_A17.1(CSA_B44)_2010.pdf

Appendix C ASME_A17.1(CSA_B44)_2010.pdf

In my opinion, the opening still has to have a minimum side dimension of 16" irrespective of the 12x20 clearance requirement.

And welcome the THE forum!

That was my understanding as well mjesse, as I've been designing elevator interiors for over 20 years. However, some cab shell companies are literally putting the canopy escape hatch in a location where it is impossible to work with what these architects are dreaming up for a suspended ceiling design. Also, I've seen other cab interior companies using this parallel piped volume and getting away with it.

"getting away with it" doesn't make it right, but you knew that already ;)

In Illinois, The Office of the State Fire Marshal is the AHJ for all elevators. Do you have a similar state wide authority for elevators? If so, it wouldn't hurt to throw your question their way as well.