• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Elevator Machine Room Lighting

I want there to be so much lighting in the elevator machine room that my elevator inspector suffers temporary blindness. The elevator code simply states that there needs to be an incandescent light in the elevator machine room. Does the lighting really need to be incandescent? Or can I use LED strips around the entire perimeter of the ceiling?

BPA, The Code is a minimum standard, you can provide more lighting than required, just not less.
The specific requirement for 'incandescent' is probably a hold over from the days before high efficacy lighting.

= & = & =

BPA,

Why do you desire to have a greater amount
of lighting [ lumens ] in the Elevator Room ?

As **steveray** has mentioned, the IEEC or

ASHRAE 90.1 will limit the amount of wattage
that is permitted.........Anything else can be
be brought in & plugged in to a wall receptacle
for task lighting.

& + & + &

A few elevator inspectors look for shadow areas to take their readings. OP might want such a high light level that the shadows will be at least 19 FC.