• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Elevator recall

cda

Sawhorse 123
so I was checking a new elevator today, for recall.

Stuck my foot in the open door and also another time pushed the door open button.

Set off a detector, the door would not close??

I am use to the door closing, no matter what ??

Is that old school??

Or still required?

Or does not matter?

Any elevator or code section would be appreciated .

Found this:::

(d) A car standing at a landing other than the desig- nated level, with the doors open and the in-car stop switch and the emergency stop switch in the car when provided, in the run position, shall con- form to the following:
(1) Elevators having automatic power-operated horizontally sliding doors shall close the doors without delay and proceed to the desig- nated level.
(2) Elevators having power-operated vertically sliding doors provided with automatic or
Life Safety Code Handbook 2009
1164 Supplement 2 ● Extracts from ASME Elevator Code and Handbook
momentary pressure closing operation per 2.13.3.4 shall have the closing sequence initi- ated without delay in accordance with 2.13.3.4.1, 2.13.3.4.2, 2.13.3.4.3, and 2.13.3.4.5, and the car shall proceed to the designated level.
(3) Elevators having power-operated doors pro- vided with continuous pressure closing oper- ation (see 2.13.3.2), or elevators having manual doors, shall be provided with a visual and audible signal system [see 2.27.3.1.6(h)] to alert an operator to close the doors and shall, when the doors are closed, proceed to the des- ignated level. Sequence operation, if provided, shall remain effective.

Life safety code

https://www.nfpa.org/~/media/Files/forms and premiums/101 handbook/NFP101HB09_CHS2.pdf

Apparently not. The State of PA L&I division handled elevators for us when I lived there. We only handled the electrical power and structural component.

It will depend upon the programming of the elevator and where the recall floor is........ Typically first level of recall is the ground floor - smoke detector activates and recalls elevator to recall floor. If the building is large enough, it may have a secondary floor recall in the event the smoke detector in the first floor lobby activates (primary recall), the elevator would recall to the alternate floor (secondary recall) and open the doors to get people off of the elevator.

Older systems did not have the primary and secondary recall feature installed, so if the smoke activated and the elevator recalled, it would open the door on the lobby and remain open.

This is a very simplistic explanation and I am sure that the elevator code can spell it out in thirty or forty pages for ya.

So while testing

The lobby smoke detector was activated.

The elevator door did not seem to start to close automatically

My foot was in the door track.

The door seemed to cycle the normal door closing time.....

We were at another building and as soon as the smoke detector activated
Door started to close,,,,

Like I normally see done on other elevators.

Just not into the elevator code.

The state confirmed this is the answer:::

(d) A car standing at a landing other than the desig- nated level, with the doors open and the in-car stop switch and the emergency stop switch in the car when provided, in the run position, shall con- form to the following:
(1) Elevators having automatic power-operated horizontally sliding doors shall close the doors without delay and proceed to the desig- nated level.

The door should start closing as soon as the lobby smoke detector goes into alarm