• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Elevator to 2nd floor conference room?

Elevator required?

• Total voters

K Walker

I have a one-story, 5750 sf dentist office. All new construction and only one tenant. Client now wishes to add a second floor conference room, bathroom, and storage to the scope of work. Maximum size for second floor likely under 1000 sf. No patient services provided on second floor. No professional offices on second floor.

Looking at 2012 NCBC 1104.4 - the exception (< 3000 sf on 2nd floor) is met, but since this is a dentist office, I am unsure whether 1.2 disallows the exception.

Does "offices of health care providers" refer to the entire dental practice? Or, can it be argued that all the professional _offices_ are on the first floor with only employee meeting space on second floor, and thus no elevator required?

so the public, salesman or employee needing accommodations is never going to use the conference room? I have my concerns

Would need more detailed information to make that assessment...Is it the only bathroom? Only conference room? Exact sqft of the second floor? Story or mezzanine?

Not the only bathroom (of course). There are two bathrooms for patients and employees on first floor. There is a meeting room on first floor, but some of this space will likely be used for stairs (and elevator if needed) to reach the second floor. It is a SECOND FLOOR. No mezzanine.

Square footage of second floor can be limited as need be with in the roof truss. We are aware that we will need floor trusses in the commercial space and cannot just increase the bottom cord of the roof truss as one would do in a home.