• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Employee only stair - does it have to meet 1009?

jbplaster

Hey folks, architect from Western NC jumping in with my first post!

I've got an employee only stair connecting a restaurant kitchen with a prep area in the basement. The stair is not part of the means of egress, and is not accessible to the public. Do I have to build a 7/11 stair, or can I make it steeper? Not ships ladder steep, but maybe residential code steep? It's an existing building, but a change of use. I appreciate any help with code references...

Thanks!
Jesse

New stairs must comply with the currently adopted code. If you are replacing an existing stairway, then steeper stairs would be permitted.

I would be more concerned with a change of use that the prep area might need aa accessible route...How big is the space?

Not sure who decides technically infeasible where you are..

1012.8.2 Complete change of occupancy. Where an
entire building undergoes a change of occupancy, it shall
comply with Section 1012.8.1 and shall have all of the following
accessible features:
1. At least one accessible building entrance.
2. At least one accessible route from an accessible
building entrance to primary function areas.

3. Signage complying with Section 1111 of the International
Building Code.
4. Accessible parking, where parking is provided.
5. At least one accessible passenger loading zone,
where loading zones are provided.
6. At least one accessible route connecting accessible
parking and accessible passenger loading zones to
an accessible entrance.
Where it is technically infeasible to comply with the
new construction standards for any of these requirements
for a change of group or occupancy, the above items shall
conform to the requirements to the maximum extent technically
feasible.

Hey folks, architect from Western NC jumping in with my first post!

I've got an employee only stair connecting a restaurant kitchen with a prep area in the basement. The stair is not part of the means of egress, and is not accessible to the public. Do I have to build a 7/11 stair, or can I make it steeper? Not ships ladder steep, but maybe residential code steep? It's an existing building, but a change of use. I appreciate any help with code references...

Thanks!
Jesse

Welcome

Grew up on Cheerwine, my Mom is from NC.

Well, that's what I was afraid of. I had done some digging, found no applicable exceptions, then turned to the experts to see if I was missing anything.

Steveray, the prep area does have an accessible route. It's a daylight basement that exits at grade in the rear. And the main level exits at grade in the front. Just no stair between the two levels. And since the stair is new construction, the existing building code doesn't help me out. I might just have to move it to the exterior.

Thanks all.

And cda, I've got a Cheerwine in the fridge, right next to the IPA!

Jesse

I have tried cheerwine twice. Yuk.

Why would you want a steeper stair for a restaurant? I would think you would want the best possible conditions for people carrying heavy trays of food.

Hilton, Cheerwine is not for the uninitiated, it requires a refined palette.

As to your question, a steeper stair fits better, and it feels better. Maybe it's just me, but I find a 7/11 stair awkward. That's why we don't put them in our homes.

Refined palette? Hey. I like grits and corn bread and boiled peanuts ... that should count for something.