• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Energy Code required?

bharvey

My current project is within a jurisdiction that has not adopted IECC or ASHRAE 90.1.

However 2006 IBC is adopted (without amendments). I cannot find a section requiring any energy code compliance within the 2006 IBC.

I want to have a bit of understanding before I speak with an AHJ & ask.

Thanks

The Energy Code requirement is found in Chapter 15 - all it says is "comply with the Energy Code. If no Energy code, then no requirement!

I just did another search through 06 IBC and found Chapter 13 requirements below. So I guess there's my answer.

SECTION 1301

GENERAL

1301.1 Scope. This chapter governs the design and construc- tion of buildings for energy

efficiency.

1301.1.1 Criteria. Buildings shall be designed and con- structed in accordance with the

International Energy Con-

servation Code.

Chapter 13 is correct

Also the following sections are specific to the energy code whether it is specifically adopted or not.

IECC—06

International Energy Conservation Code®

101.4.7, 1203.3.2, 1301.1.1, 1403.2