• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Entrance Mat

Can you please clarify what you are referring to by the entrance mat system?

Thanks

Welcome

A lot of different terms for the same thing in const

Are you asking is the sewer connection from the building to where it connects to public utility

Sewer

Or

Storm ??

Not into plumbing but I would say sewer

I think your questions is: We have installed a walking mat at our front entrance with a drain underneath. Do we connect this drain to the buildings storm system or to the sewer system. 2015, UPC, Sec. 1101.3 states that storm water shall not be drained into sewers intended for sanitary drainage. Plus, if you connect to the sewer system, you may have sewer smell greeting customers passing your mat during the dry season.

I worked at a facility before that had this type of system in several buildings and they were connected to the stormwater drain system. Unless you have something half interest in the bldg. that you want to collect when people are leaving, these mats are only going to collect rainwater etc. being tracked into the bldg.

I think your questions is: We have installed a walking mat at our front entrance with a drain underneath. Do we connect this drain to the buildings storm system or to the sewer system. 2015, UPC, Sec. 1101.3 states that storm water shall not be drained into sewers intended for sanitary drainage. Plus, if you connect to the sewer system, you may have sewer smell greeting customers passing your mat during the dry season.

This really help a lot. Thanks

A most interesting question with a very logical response. It is rain, not du du (smiling) you are typically collecting.
Is the mat open to the sky in a high rainfall area?