• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Epoxy lined water pipe

ICE

Oh Well
Staff member
Does anyone out there have experience with, or knowledge about, lining existing water pipes with epoxy?

A little bias opinion but some good points

I am thinking if it were my house and I were staying in it, I am thinking no.

pex it

How old is your house?

What is the matter with the plumbing?

Interesting. The “sage water” article makes 2 points at the end: epoxy lining costs the same or more than a repipe job, and there is no guarantee.

The article from ePoxy looks slick, has several explanations, and offers a 7 point guarantee which includes “customer satisfaction” and that say their employees wear uniforms and the trucks are lettered. No mention of a guarantee that the end result will last until the check clears.

Reactions: ICE
It depends on the house, the access to the pipes, and the extent of the lines that need to be replaced, but I cannot imagine ever squirting epoxy or anything other than water through the water lines my kids are going to be drinking out of. Not that it's not/can't be safe and/or a valid fix, but it just sounds hokey to me.

On a slab with buried pipes, and no access, I might be able to be convinced. Crawlspace, basement, or attic access to the pipes, and I think I'd have to replace them.

I don't think this is the same process that utilities use successfully to reline sewers and water mains. I'd be skeptical.

I went with PEX. I inquired at the city building department about a plumbing permit. I can get the permit as the owner. They wanted an isometric drawing of the plumbing system. I said that it is four full bathrooms, a kitchen and laundry room....what more do you need to know. I was told that the inspector requires the drawing in order to make sure that each fixture was plumbed.

I have met the inspector....I went ahead without the drawing.

Old thread but for the sake of newcomers researching…
Slab leaks are common and expensive and repetitive in my S CA neighborhood. Plumbing is in the foundation. We opted to do the epoxy a decade ago and haven’t had an issue since, while neighbors have continued to have leaks. We filter the water for drinking. It was a good move for us.

I've used epoxy lining for waste lines, but not for supply lines.
For supply, go with PEX for an existing building.

I have to laugh at all those ads that promise repiping will provide you with "clean water" in an old neighborhood. Have you seen what an old city water main looks like? No amount of home repiping will change that.
If the water passes federal standards and you don't have leaks, that's about the best you can hope for from the overall supply system.

Old thread but for the sake of newcomers researching…
Slab leaks are common and expensive and repetitive in my S CA neighborhood. Plumbing is in the foundation. We opted to do the epoxy a decade ago and haven’t had an issue since, while neighbors have continued to have leaks. We filter the water for drinking. It was a good move for us.
In my entire career, not once did I encounter an epoxy lined water pipe. That's not to say that it never happened in LA County... just that it wasn't under a permit in my area of the County. For most of my time, sewers were not allowed to be epoxy lined as the ep[oxy was considered a patch and as you know a patch is not allowed. That has changed and the sewers can now be lined with epoxy in LA County jurisdiction.

I don't have personal experience with it, but I've heard about lining existing water pipes with epoxy as a way to fix old or corroded pipes. From what I've read, it seems like it can be a cost-effective solution that helps extend the life of the pipes and improve water quality but I think there are better options