• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Exit Access Stair in Open Parking Garage - Exit Discharge

rtlambert1

Hello all,

I'm working on a project that includes a 6 story open parking garage which is non-sprinklered. After my code research, I cannot find a definitive determination if I can have a stair that does not egress directly to the outside of the building. Per IBC 2018 section 1019.3, condition 6, an exit access stair is permitted to be unenclosed for the entire height of the parking garage, and the exit travel distance can be measured to the top of the stair, essentially allowing an open exit access stair to be used as an exit stair. That part is clear, but the code is unclear on whether or not the exit access stair needs to go directly outside. Typically an exit access stair is locate inboard with the exit travel distance continuing beyond the stair to the exit door, but not in this case due to the open parking garage exception. It just seems odd that once you reach the bottom of the stair, there does not appear to be a limit on travel distance to get outside.

Because it is an unenclosed exit access stair and not a rated exit stair, the exit discharge requirements from 1028.1 don't apply.

Thoughts on whether or not there is an issue with an interior exit access stair in a parking structure not opening directly to the outside? I feel like this is a pretty common thing, but don't have a ton of experience with parking garages.

Thanks!

Hello all,

I'm working on a project that includes a 6 story open parking garage which is non-sprinklered. After my code research, I cannot find a definitive determination if I can have a stair that does not egress directly to the outside of the building. Per IBC 2018 section 1019.3, condition 6, an exit access stair is permitted to be unenclosed for the entire height of the parking garage, and the exit travel distance can be measured to the top of the stair, essentially allowing an open exit access stair to be used as an exit stair. That part is clear, but the code is unclear on whether or not the exit access stair needs to go directly outside. Typically an exit access stair is locate inboard with the exit travel distance continuing beyond the stair to the exit door, but not in this case due to the open parking garage exception. It just seems odd that once you reach the bottom of the stair, there does not appear to be a limit on travel distance to get outside.

Because it is an unenclosed exit access stair and not a rated exit stair, the exit discharge requirements from 1028.1 don't apply.

Thoughts on whether or not there is an issue with an interior exit access stair in a parking structure not opening directly to the outside? I feel like this is a pretty common thing, but don't have a ton of experience with parking garages.

Thanks!

Not my area either.

So besides this stair, are there and how many other code complaint stairs will there be??

Or is this the only one you are proposing??

I am thinking, At some point the "exit access stair" has to discharge to an "exit access" which would discharge to public way.

See what the experts say.

This will be one of 2 open exit access stairs. I agree the path from the bottom of the stair to the exit door is a continuation of the exit access, It just seems odd to me that this is basically ungoverned by any travel distance requirement. In my case, it would be about 30' from the stair to the exit door, and occupants are not required to cross any vehicle traffic lanes. Like I said, it seems fine to me, but just want to confirm I'm not missing anything.

This will be one of 2 open exit access stairs. I agree the path from the bottom of the stair to the exit door is a continuation of the exit access, It just seems odd to me that this is basically ungoverned by any travel distance requirement. In my case, it would be about 30' from the stair to the exit door, and occupants are not required to cross any vehicle traffic lanes. Like I said, it seems fine to me, but just want to confirm I'm not missing anything.

It sounds like you are,,,

Give it another day or two, for the experts to reply