• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Exit access vs. exterior exit stair

Otter

Hi all, 3 story R-2, sprinklered with one exterior exit stair for 4 units on each floor. Each stair is served via common hall/corridor (hallway on plans) which has 1 hour separation from the units. Given that 1027.6 states in part.. "Openings shall be limited to those necessary for egress from normally occupied spaces," do the storage areas create a conflict with this provision? Put another way, would you consider the hallway area an extension of the exterior stairway or simply part of the exit access?

2018 IBC VB const.

1618421045685.png
1618421130062.png

My thought is that section does not apply to what you have,

So in my mind not a problem

I take it the walls to the storerooms are rated, and doors are rated???

Any fire sprinkler system involved??

My thought is that section does not apply to what you have,

So in my mind not a problem

I take it the walls to the storerooms are rated, and doors are rated???

Any fire sprinkler system involved??
Yep, walls and doors are rated and the building has an NFPA 13R system.

The area referred to as "hallway" on the plans would not be considered part of the exterior exit stairway, so I don't see any problem with having storage rooms open directly into this space.

On another note, have you taken a look at the requirements of IBC 1027.6? If the intent is to classify the stair as an exterior exit stairway, you typically need to provide a rated separation between the stair and building, unless the stair is served by an open-ended corridor.

The area referred to as "hallway" on the plans would not be considered part of the exterior exit stairway, so I don't see any problem with having storage rooms open directly into this space.

On another note, have you taken a look at the requirements of IBC 1027.6? If the intent is to classify the stair as an exterior exit stairway, you typically need to provide a rated separation between the stair and building, unless the stair is served by an open-ended corridor.
Sounds good and I agree. The hallway is separated by 1 hour rated construction, but you bring up a good point and the rated construction extends along the stairway and continues out past to the exterior walls of the building.

Thansk for taking a look, I appreciate it.