• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Exiting a court at grade surrounded by an open garage

rquintana-2022

Our project is in Los Angeles where I have garage level Type IA that surrounds a Courtyard at the ground floor. Type VA 3 stories above. We are using natural ventilation which means the garage has large openings facing the court yard. The Occupancy would be and A3 as it will have a play ground, benches, water features, etc. for residents living there. My understanding that the garage being S1 will need 1 hr occupancy separation. So these openings drafting air in and out are non-protected openings and the court needs to provide a means of egress. I am considering a water curtain should be provided. The other alternative are roll down activated fire doors. Any thoughts?

Our project is in Los Angeles where I have garage level Type IA that surrounds a Courtyard at the ground floor. Type VA 3 stories above. We are using natural ventilation which means the garage has large openings facing the court yard. The Occupancy would be and A3 as it will have a play ground, benches, water features, etc. for residents living there. My understanding that the garage being S1 will need 1 hr occupancy separation. So these openings drafting air in and out are non-protected openings and the court needs to provide a means of egress. I am considering a water curtain should be provided. The other alternative are roll down activated fire doors. Any thoughts?
It is unusual to have separated occupancies in Type 1A. There is no required separation from A3 and S1 that I am aware of in Ch. 4 if using non-separated occupancies. Sounds like you just need to meet egress court requirements in 1028.4 IBC. (I don't know the CA code peculiarities though)