• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

# Exits from 2nd Floor - Senior Apts

mychaelp

ok, I am working on an apartment complex in California for Senior Housing. There are 8 - 2BR units on the second floor. Do I assume 16 occupants? Or go with the 200 S.F. per Occupant, or is there a sections I'm not easily seeing that allows 10 or less so I can do a single stairway?
I ask because I keep wanting to add a second stair but being told not to. Ugh.
Input is really appreciated... I do mostly commercial so not aware of exceptions for this.

The IBC limits you to 4 dwelling units for one exit (stair) I do not know about CA and can't believe they would allow more.
2012 IBC
TABLE 1021.2(1)
STORIES WITH ONE EXIT OR ACCESS TO ONE EXIT FOR R-2 OCCUPANCIES
STORY OCCUPANCY MAXIMUM NUMBER OF DWELLING UNITS MAXIMUM EXIT ACCESS TRAVEL DISTANCE
Basement, first, second or third story R-2a, b 4 dwelling units 125 feet