• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Expansion joint

ICE

Oh Well
Staff member
The pool company owner told me that inspectors rarely say anything about the expansion joint between the pool and the concrete deck around the pool.
We perform a pre-deck inspection. I look for the perimeter bond and also ask about the water bond just in case they have to dig up a pipe. There is never a foam expansion joint and I always ask for it to be installed. Then I always turn it down because it is installed wrong.
29883682675_bf6df089b4_b.jpg

There is always a one page plan with this detail.

29256352544_a82beb810d_b.jpg

29589891790_ceabb540e7_b.jpg

Attachments

• 29257130743_ff04b20a50_b.jpg
    29257130743_ff04b20a50_b.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I see the perimeter bond wire in the photo's, is the foam expansion installed correct? It appears to be below the caulk line?

The foam must have a flat surface to work with. There is an inclined plane and when the concrete expands it will potentially slide up the plane. The expansion joint must keep the concrete deck away from the coping and the bond beam of the pool shell. The concrete nails negate the expansion joint.