• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Exposed fiberglass insulation in a return air plenumn?

jpranch

Platinum Member
This just dose not sound right but I'm having trouble nailing down a code section that prohibits this. Any help would be appreciated.

Forgot to mention that the insulation is unfaced.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree it is permitted

Now where is it located? If it is laying on ceiling tile in a commercial building I don't belive that is permitted under the energy code.

I got this from Owens Corning: "Due to the potential for skin irritation, unfaced Thermal Batt Insulation should not be used for exposed applications where it will be subject to human contact."

So if they do not want it exposed in walls or ceilings... Thoughts?

Assuming the plenum is on the return side, air would be filtered before coming back to the supply side, I would think airborne fibers should not cause a problem.

How will insulation installed in the attic be subject to human contact by the building occupants?

Any fiberglass that may be picked up in the air flow of the return air plenum would be miniscule and would likely have to pass through the reurn air filters on the unit before being discharged through the fiberglass duckwork located on the supply side.

jpranch said:
This just dose not sound right but I'm having trouble nailing down a code section that prohibits this. Any help would be appreciated.Forgot to mention that the insulation is unfaced.
Take a look at IMC 604.13 internal insulation

jpranch said:
This just dose not sound right but I'm having trouble nailing down a code section that prohibits this. Any help would be appreciated.Forgot to mention that the insulation is unfaced.
If the insulation is part of the thermal envelope it is required to have an air wash covering. Don't know the code section but any insulation contractor should know it's required.

Found it! Section 402.4.2.2 2009 IECC Visual inspection Option from Table 402.4.2 "Exterior thermal envelope insulation for framed walls is in substantial contact and continuous alignment with the building envelope air barrier."

Chapter 4 is residential. I'll look for a commercial equivalent.

Bill

Don Quixote said:
Found it! Section 402.4.2.2 2009 IECC Visual inspection Option from Table 402.4.2 "Exterior thermal envelope insulation for framed walls is in substantial contact and continuous alignment with the building envelope air barrier."
Interesting, I didn't know an air barrier was required, a weather resistant barrier yes, but the usual air barrier is just the interior finish, like sheetrock. Does the IECC now require air barriers? If so we are in a world of hurt since sealing walls prevents them from "breathing", like the disasters caused by dual barriers, especially using cheap polyethylene sheeting in walls. I know nothing about the IECC since we in California have our own energy code.

Hi Conarb,

The air barrier can be the drywall, the paint or the polyethylene sheeting under the drywall. What's new is that the insulation must fit tight to the air barrier. Example might be insulation in the wall but a cabinet soffit that pulls the air barrier away from the insulation.

The requirement that all six sides of a batt of insulation be covered is a best practice not a code requirement. The Energy Trust folks here in Oregon require that all their approved subcontractors cover all exposed insulation with something to prevent air washing. They maintain that an open back side will reduce the R value by 2/3's.

Bill

KZQuixote said:
The new requirement is that the insulation cannot be exposed to air washing on the attic side.
We where taught the same thing in an energy code class last year but darned if I can find a code section for it.

Makes sense that it should be covered. How much loose insulation fibers floating in the air, too much?