• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Exterior door to incoming riser

Lipets

Fire inspector wants an exterior door to the area of the riser stub-out, my sprinkler installer says he has not seen that in the code.
They can go thru the main door office to get it, they say that's to hard to locate.
But there's nothing there for them to see or do in case of fire. the backflow and shut offs are out side.

Also wants a heater in that area requiring us to make small room to maintain 40 degrees, we're in Florida don't see the need.
I should ask about all the sprinkler pipes in the unheated warehouse??

Anyone have that come up?

See image

https://prnt.sc/jUO8c6vboVgs

Last edited by a moderator:
@ ~ @

Lipets,

Have you researched the Fire Inspector requirements ?
They are online.........This Link goes to the UpCodes website
for the 2020 Florida Fire Protection Code.

Refer to Ch. 13 for fire protection systems, and their
requirements.

Also, you may want to visit the Fire Inspector's office,
to see what has been officially & legally adopted........You
may also want to "respectfully & courteously" request the Fire
Inspector's various Code Sections that he is referring to.

@ ~ @

If an exterior door to the right room is Req it must be a local requirement so you need to check with the local building officials. I've never seen it Req in the multiple states that I've worked in but I can see especially for warehouse where it might be reasonable. I do however agree with the need for heating to keep the riser room from freezing, I would rather see it kept above 50° but that's just me. Depending on what portion of Florida you are in would determine how much he would be Req, I know I've been in Central Florida were overnight temperatures went below freezing and that would certainly warrant heating in a riser room.