• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Exterior exit stairways in S-2 Occupancy

Carmen Lopez

I have an existing marine/container terminal. Trucks 60 feet in length operate loading/unloading in a 3 story open platform (aprox. 210 feet by 65 feet). There is only one exterior exit stairway used to access each floor and as a means of egress. My interpretation would be:1. Based on NFPA 2009 Section 7.2.2.6.3 I would either: a. provide a secondary stair, then no protection needed b. provide a supervised automaitic sprinkler system, then no protection needed c. provide 1hr protection, 10 feet from open stair2. Based on NFPA 2009 - Sections 42.8.1.3 and 42.8.2.2.3: a. interpret the open structure as an open parking structure (except there is no parking, only truck maneuvering), therefore can leave it unprotectedThank you for any information you can provide.View attachment 764

View attachment 1487

View attachment 1487

/monthly_2011_02/DSC01462_r.JPG.8c231124e4dfa577b7f6b62eb53d1a15.JPG

Welcome Carmen!

Please post this in the Commercial Building Code or section under a new thread topic. Yoy will have greater exposure and answers faster. I would have done it for you but I do not Moderate this section. It will also help if you address the NFPA code you are referencing and I am assuming it's 101/2009 :)