• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Exterior fire escapes

kiwijbob

I'm correct in thinking that these are not permitted on a new build and only allowed in retrofit applications?

In Massachussettes, exterior stairs are allowed, no new fire exscapes without and variance and existing fire escapes are required to be insped ever 5 yesa by an engineer or other qualified individual

I'm correct in thinking that these are not permitted on a new build and only allowed in retrofit applications?
That is correct.
3.7.4.1(1)" If it is impracticable to provide one or more of the exit facilities listed in
Article 3.4.1.4., fire escapes conforming to Articles 3.4.7.2. to 3.4.7.7. are permitted to
serve floor areas in an existing building provided the floor areas served are not more than
a) 2 storeys above ground level in care, treatment or detention occupancies, and
b) 5 storeys above ground level in other occupancies"

Note that even though fire escapes are in Part 3, they are allowed in Part 9 structures.

Many thanks Inspector Gadget, I was hoping you'd see this message .
In the last year, I have seen a whole lot of issues with folks renovating existing (non-conforming) means of egress for second-storey dwelling units and then running into issues. Code *really* wants those units to have two ways out [9.9.9.2, 9.9.9.3.] Fire escapes can help mitigate those issues.

One thing to watch out for: obtain detailed designs of where any fire escape will land relative to windows/doors of other fire compartments [3.4.7.4]. Have had a couple of files where this proved stupendously difficult for the owner to grasp.

It's stuff like this that makes me want to push for qualified designers to be required for Part 9 non-residential structures.