• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Exterior Load Bearing Wall Modification

Main Man

I own a commercial building and I'm planning to widen an existing exterior basement door in a two story building. The township is requiring that the opening be designed in accordance with 2015 IBC. The current wall is 2x4 construction with a brick facade. There is currently a single steel door that is 32" x 78". I like widen the opening and install double doors (~5'-9" rough opening width) to accommodate the installation of equipment in the basement. My issue is that the existing wall height (floor to bottom of double 2x4 plates) is only 86". If I install a double 2x12 header that only leaves a rough opening height of about 74.5". I'm having difficulty finding doors to fit this opening size. Does anyone know if there's an alternate to using the double 2x12 header allowable by the 2015 IBC such as a steel header or laminated beam that would increase the rough opening height? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Welcome

Have you consulted a structural engineer?

In the long run, it may save you money,,,

Plus the city may require one anyway.

Any local lumber yard can order you a custom door to fit whatever opening you have. All of the major door manufacturers will make custom sizes.

Dollar bills is the kicker; depending on the cost of that custom door, it might be cheaper to hire an engineer to spec an alternate header (steel, etc.). It'll all depend on the cost of the door.

* * = * *

Main Man,

Also, a Welcome to The Building Codes Forum ! :)

I agree with others that recommend hiring a structural engineer.
Some of the door suppliers have a structural engineer
on staff, or can readily recommend one \ some.

Section 1003.2 [ in the `15 IBC ] requires a minimum ceiling
height of 7' - 6".

* * = * *