• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Exterior Roof Access Stairway

Billy Wang

Hello All,

This is my first time posting.

The owner would like to build a roof deck on his 3-story Single-Family Attached Dwelling Unit (A typical Philadelphia rowhouse). There is currently no roof access structure, and he had the thought to expand one window to allow a doorway that would open to an exterior landing/stairway made of essentially fire escape construction that would lead to a newly constructed roof deck.

I looked in Chapter 3 of IRC 2018, and there didn't seem to be anything that would expressly prohibit this, but I was wondering if I'm missing something.

Thank you for your help!

We're thinking it would be on the side of the house, overhanging the "side yard" (maybe <=5' from the shared lot line) and passes by at least one window.

fire escape construction
Not likely to be allowed. That which would be allowed would be designed by an engineer. Planting a staircase on the side of a building from the third floor to the roof would be an expensive bit of construction. That’s not to say that it could not be done with enough determination and money.

Last edited:
Welcome, Go Eagles and Phillies!
I was looking out in a high rise in the Fairmont section of Philly lately and was surprised to see half the row houses have a roof decks, Made me thing about how many of them had permits. Back in the 90's before I was an inspector I did a lot of work in Philly (only built one roof deck) and did not know you had to get a permit.

The Philadelphia Code recognizes the legal, continuing use of EXISTING Fire Escapes which historically are more about Ladder Geometry and Not Stair Geometry.

The Philly Code follows the ICC Bldg Code for new construction, and therefore does not allow New Fire Escapes.
In addition think of the safety of the guard rail heights and having civilians use a ladder cantilevered off the side of a 3 story building exiting, what was a window.

It makes more sense to build the Roof Access Structure and keep people safe

IMHO