• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Fake engineers

Sifu

SAWHORSE
Don't know how to link the article but just read on Fox News a story about two guys in CA who have been passing themselves off as licensed engineers, using false stamps etc., apparently for years and on hundreds of residential and commercial projects. Someone that is more savvy with computers can probably find the article and link to it. Will be Interesting to see the fallout.

Don't know how to link the article but just read on Fox News a story about two guys in CA who have been passing themselves off as licensed engineers' date=' using false stamps etc., apparently for years and on hundreds of residential and commercial projects. Someone that is more savvy with computers can probably find the article and link to it. Will be Interesting to see the fallout.[/quote']http://laist.com/2016/01/30/fake_civil_engineers_may_have_built.php

I wonder how bad the work they did really is? Obviously it was done under false pretense and wouldn't hold up in the court of law but it could still be very sound design work. I love to hear some engineer's opinion of what they actually did.

I wonder if they fake stamped and signed R3 Single Family Dwellings that did not even require a RDP in the first place!?!...

I wonder if they fake stamped and signed R3 Single Family Dwellings that did not even require a RDP in the first place!?!...
Many projects that would not normality require a RDP in other areas need a RDP in seismic zones D and E, which is where they are "practicing".

I must be a real a$$, I just requested the RDP to sign, stamp and date his design then I verified that he had his out of state stamp? This was before these knot-heads!

Recently a local RDP stamped someones else's drawing and when I did the review it was missing hanger call outs, fire blocking, metal to roof connection info, post connection, footing info etc.

I wonder how bad the work they did really is? Obviously it was done under false pretense and wouldn't hold up in the court of law but it could still be very sound design work. I love to hear some engineer's opinion of what they actually did.
They got all of the projects through many building department reviews. Then they got the work blessed by many inspectors. The owners should take solace in that fact and move on....no harm no foul.

They got all of the projects through many building department reviews. Then they got the work blessed by many inspectors. The owners should take solace in that fact and move on....no harm no foul.
Just wait for the earthquake

The fact that building departments accepted the designs should not lead to an assumption that the buildings were code compliant. Engineers who design these buildings quickly become aware that plan checkers and inspectors do not find all violations. Building inspectors and plan checker appear to think that because nobody is pointing out their mistakes that they are finding all the violations.

The fact that building departments accepted the designs should not lead to an assumption that the buildings were code compliant. Engineers who design these buildings quickly become aware that plan checkers and inspectors do not find all violations. Building inspectors and plan checker appear to think that because nobody is pointing out their mistakes that they are finding all the violations.
Maybe the dumb ones.

It doesn't make any difference whether the work they did was any good or not. Palos Verde Engineering Co. has grounds for a major civil suit, as well as anybody who used their services thinking that a real P.E was doing the work. Unfortunately they probably spent all the money they earned, leaving nothing to compensate those who have been defrauded. Will the people who paid these phony engineers to do structural design for their houses have to pay a real P.E. to review the design, and pay a contractor to make corrections?

It doesn't make any difference whether the work they did was any good or not. Palos Verde Engineering Co. has grounds for a major civil suit' date=' as well as anybody who used their services thinking that a real P.E was doing the work. Unfortunately they probably spent all the money they earned, leaving nothing to compensate those who have been defrauded. [b']Will the people who paid these phony engineers to do structural design for their houses have to pay a real P.E. to review the design, and pay a contractor to make corrections?[/b]
That would take the cooperation of the AHJs and that's not likely to be forthcoming.

That would take the cooperation of the AHJs and that's not likely to be forthcoming.
Being that it is in my sandbox, I can answer. we are working with the sheriffs department and the property owners.

It is not the responsibility of the building departments to sort this out. The only question for the AHJ is whether the permit was properly issues and whether the work complies with the code. If the building department determines that the permit was void because it was based on documents that were improperly signed and sealed they would notify the building owner that the owner must correct the problem or the certificate of occupancy would be revoked.

The district attorneys could and probably will prosecute the engineers for criminal activities. The state Board that licenses professional engineers will take action against the engineers for violation of the licensing laws. The impacted clients could sue the engineers in Civil court attempting to recoup their losses but this may not be worth it if they have no money.

Some building owners might try to sue the building departments but for a number of reasons I do not believe that such litigation will be successful.

Being that it is in my sandbox, I can answer. we are working with the sheriffs department and the property owners.
Correct me if I am wrong. The fraud took place in dozens of jurisdictions. The majority of these jurisdictions and the owners are oblivious to the problem. The first to become aware will be the AHJs. They have no mechanism to search for and identify which properties where this occurred. AHJs have a vested interest in not looking. The perpetrators are nowhere to be found.

Correct me if I am wrong. The fraud took place in dozens of jurisdictions. The majority of these jurisdictions and the owners are oblivious to the problem. The first to become aware will be the AHJs. They have no mechanism to search for and identify which properties where this occurred. AHJs have a vested interest in not looking. The perpetrators are nowhere to be found.
​The investigators need proof of the fraud. The easiest way is the records held by the AHJs. If the AHJs are not working with investigators, surrendering what records they have, would that not be obstruction of justice?

​The investigators need proof of the fraud. The easiest way is the records held by the AHJs. If the AHJs are not working with investigators, surrendering what records they have, would that not be obstruction of justice?
Public records.

Sure they are public records. So how many AHJs can search the records for a particular contractor or engineer. They will have to manualy examine the file for each address and that is not going to happen. The AHJs don't want to open a barrel of worms. The Sherif will send a crack team of student workers.

Last edited by a moderator:
\ said:
Some building owners might try to sue the building departments but for a number of reasons I do not believe that such litigation will be successful.
Why Mark? The AHJ's are there to supposedly protect the public and they accepted fraudulent documents. I don't think sovereign immunity will protect on this one, it would have a few years ago but I don't think it will now. The big issue here is damages, if no one was damaged then in civil matters the issue is mute. If the AHJs work to help prosecute the fraud they could be helping to dig a hole that they could be buried in with subsequent civil litigation. If this costs owners money they are going to be suing, since the culprits probably are judgment-proof it will be others that pay, especially in California where there is doe pleading and a public policy in the courts to hold the deep pockets liable, the policy here is that someone has to pay.

If I were a CBO I'd sit back and do as little as possible and let the chips fall where they may, but don't go near obstructing the authorities in their investigation even though you may be helping to dig your own hole, insurance will pay in a situation like this and that's ultimately what the courts will be looking to.

The criminal and administrative actions are one thing, but at the conclusion there will be civil actions, and the AHJ will be named, the jurors, if it goes that far which it won't, will think: "What's the building department there for if they can't even catch that? And then they turn around and make the homeowners pay for their incompetency.

So haw many AHJs can search the records for a particular contractor or engineer. They will have to manualy examine the file for each address and that is not going to happen.
My software will allow me to search by permit number or by address but not by engineer or architect. RDP's are not required to have a city business license, it's a sweet setup if the AHJ does't check with the state board of "men who draw!".

I'd plea the fifth or the second amendment, wait, those are under attack, use the sanity plea, works every time! I don't recall