• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Feeders under a townhome

Sifu

SAWHORSE
A townhouse building with multiple units has a meter bank and first point of disconnect at one end. Can the feeders to the unit panels run under the slab on grade? I can't find a prohibition, only conditions for service entrance conductors (not feeders). Otherwise the criteria in article 300 applies? This is a question from another AHJ that is not permitting it. I am not in the electrical arena any more, and was never an expert so forgive me if this is a stupid question.

BTW I agree with the AHJ and would not permit this. The Florida Building Commission provided an interpretation for this and since each townhouse is a separate lot, they each need their own utility without crossing the property lines of others or providing a disconnect on someone else's property. If these are R2 rental units with one property line and an owner, then that is another story.

Not sure about these specific units but I assume they are individually owned. Aside from a Florida interpretation or amendment, is their an electrical code that would not permit this?

If the units are individually owned there would have to be easements for all utilities running through a unit to serve another, so that a unit owner couldn't tear up these utilities (accidentally or on purpose).

Looking for a code citation. Looking in NEC 215 and 230 I can't find a prohibition.