• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

FHA / CBC 11A elevator inside private dwelling unit

Yikes

Gold Member
I have an apartment development (elevator building) design where a single public elevator serves all dwelling units except one townhome. That townhome has its own separate entrance, and does not have sufficient space at the accessible level of entry for a kitchen and powder room,. to make a long story short, we need to provide a private residential elevator within the dwelling unit.

The problem is, when I look through CBC 11A, I can't find any minimum required dimensions for a private unti elevator. 1124A.1 provides an exception from ASME A17.1 for private elevators serving only one dwelling unit.
So, what standards do I follow? Will any home elevator with a 30" x48" cab floor space be sufficient?

I think it will depend on what codes your area is using. However, if you have other equivalent units that are accessible why do you think this single unit has to be made accessible?

I think it will depend on what codes your area is using. However, if you have other equivalent units that are accessible why do you think this single unit has to be made accessible?

FHA says that when you have a new building that has an elevator, 100% of units are covered multifamily dwellings - - even the only townhome on the project!

FHA says that when you have a new building that has an elevator, 100% of units are covered multifamily dwellings - - even the only townhome on the project!
That's true but I believe since the townhome at the completely separate entrance it's not included in what must be elevator accessible. I may be wrong but I've seen it permitted that way previously.

Can you classify it as a seperate building? Not a part?

1124A.1 General
Elevators provided in covered multifamily buildings shall be accessible. Elevators required to be accessible shall comply with this chapter, ASME A17.1 (Safety Code for Elevators and Escalators), Title 8 of the California Code of Regulations, under “Elevator Safety Orders,” and any other applicable safety regulations of other administrative authorities having jurisdiction.

Exception: Private elevators serving only one dwelling unit.

Minimum Wheelchair residential elevators are 36 inches wide and 48 inches deep. If you make it 5 feet deep it will help with caregivers.

From the HUD / DOJ joint letter:

upload_2020-1-27_10-21-57.png

My specific design problem is that the townhome's primary entrance level is sized almost like a carriage unit* - - just enough room for the entry door, stairs, and a nice entry closet; but not big enough for the powder room + kitchen. Therefore I need to change the entry closet into a private residential elevator shaft.

*(It is not actually a carraige unit, because it is located over a 30+ car subterranean garage access ramp.)

Last edited: